cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many AUs to my AMEX - could it cause problems or AA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many AUs to my AMEX - could it cause problems or AA?

I just got my every day card in January or February this year. Right away I edit my DW to it. After some research I found out that I could add someone as young as 14 is an Authorized user. My brother is 15 and I thought it would be an excellent ideal for him to be added since by the time he was 18 he would have a Headstart and three years of credit history before he got started plus in the future if he ever got his own American Express card this would help his number sent date. Wanting to help my sister reestablish your credit I edit her on as an authorized user as well. Now I set The spending limits to $200 on each card except on DW's. I would also like to add my stepfather, who is more of a real father, as an authorized user and my niece who is 15 to help her in the same way as my brother. Now after some thought I am wondering if American Express might get concerned about all these authorize user accounts and either take some adverse action or something negative to me for it. Does anyone know if for a personal card, a credit card, there is a limit to the number of authorized users that can be set? Is this a good idea or Bad ideal for me personally. I don't want to risk harming my American Express relationship but I do want to help my family establish or rebuild their own credit.

On an unrelated note I noticed today that they change my membership since date from 2015 to 2011. I asked customer service representative if this would be reflected on my credit reports and she said yes – fingers crossed I hope so.

Any inside, experience would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely Mark
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Too many AUs to my AMEX - could it cause problems or AA?

Shouldn't affect you at all.  You don't even have to give them a card.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You won't get backdated on the credit report if your new Amex reported after March 21st for the first time. Amex stopped doing that.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the CSR lied to me then. I think they record their call so i raise hell about it. Could you point me to any website or print that says this change in policy.
Message 4 of 10
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

I currently have 3 additional users, two family members, one friend on my Hilton card all together spending roughly 2x my reported income since May 2014. I havent had any AA yet, and I doubt I will. Adding AU's shouldnt cause any AA, but perhaps a high amount of spending compared to your reported income may.

You will not harm your relationship, do not worry Smiley Happy

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I add a new card in a couple years would my open day be the 2015 day or the 2001 day or today it was actually open according to this new policy you understand.
Message 6 of 10
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So if I add a new card in a couple years would my open day be the 2015 day or the 2001 day or today it was actually open according to this new policy you understand.

It would be accurate to whichever year and month it was opened, unfortunately Smiley Sad Youre not alone in the frustration.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It just happened to me. I opened a new Amex BCP account on March 17th but my account was not reported until this week. When I checked the credit report, it showed 3/17/2015 as the open date as opposed to 1993, which was the year I opened my first Amex (Amex website still shows MSD 93 and the card, too). So the cutoff date is March 21st. Any new Anex accounts will report the actual date they were open not the MSD date. Needless to say, I'm livid!!!  I hope your new account was reported prior to March 21st.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 9 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Tried to get a count from OP but found it hard to follow, in any case, adding several AU can, in certain instances, be a contributing leading to F/R (which you may or may not view as a problem) one issue with AU which can be troublesome in particular is if one is using/spending more than primary, sounds like you've limited that possibility with spending limits.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.