cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many cards?/medical school student-next move?

tag
MBAWORKINGONDO

Too many cards?/medical school student-next move?

So I am new to this forum but I have been looking over it for the past few months. I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers and maybe a little direction. 

Current Cards

Discover it- 4500 CL 3000 Balance

BOA (Changing to 123) 5000-CL 215 Balance

Capital One 1250 CL NO Balance

Wells Fargo 1300 CL NO Balance

Carnival Mastercard 1000 CL NO Balance

Chase Slate (on its way) 3000CL

Citi Simplicity (on its way) 3000CL

Amazon Store Card- 3100 CL 2000 Balance

Zales Store Card 1800 CL NO Balance

Mens Warehouse Card 800 CL NO Balance

Dell Store Card 3100 CL NO Balance

JCP Card 1250 CL NO Balance

So my FICO score is 710 and my credit karma score is 650.

My average account is about 2 years and I just blew through 4 apps in one day-Chase(approved), Citi(approved), Amex Blue (Dec), BOA 123(does switching a BOA card from one to this one count as a HP?)

First question- do I have too many accounts? I have never paid interest and always pay in full unless I have some find of 0% APR going (discover/amazon store card)

What do I do now? Crawl into a hole and not apply for anything?

I am in medical school (just started) so I wanted to get a couple of cards with semi high limits so if I need them while doing my rotations or applying to residency I could have something to put expenses on.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Too many cards?/medical school student-next move?

The number of accounts that is too many depends on the person.  If you are having difficulty keeping track of the accounts, or it just feels like too many, it is too many!  Otherwise, no.

Re waiting for several months before applying: this is a good idea if you are getting rejected for cards that you want.  You don't have a super-long average age of accounts and have just got two new cards, + the 4 inquiries, so waiting a bit might be good.   Then, after a few months, you can either see if you can get an increase on one of your cards, or apply for a new one and get a bonus.

What sort of cl are you looking for (i.e. what is semi-high to you?).

Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

honestly I would actually add atleast american express gold charge and possibly blue cash preferred then I would find yourself the garden for the next year minus maybe CLI at 61 days on amex if you get it and 90 days for discover and 4 months for GE and 6 months on Citi and others not mentioned Smiley Happy

If you decide in a year you don't need gold card because of current income vs. AF you can cancel but you will hold on to your 2013 cardholder date... I assume if you are going to be a doctor down the road, Amex will be in your future Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You don't have too many cards.
I'n still finishing up my Bachelor's in Econ and I work full time; I have about 14 open cards atm, 10 of which have a zero bal. I had about 20 until I started getting rid of some GE lines.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.