Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many cards - need a plan to whittle them down

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many cards - need a plan to whittle them down

15 open accounts and 8 closed on CR:

Oldest open account is Exxon followed by HD and JCP respectively 500-750 and 2400 CL and all opened with 5 months of each other.

Plan on closing a $39 annual fee Cap1 at 1800 CL in July.

Should I close in September the Shell, Sunoco and Citgo (all INQs will drop by then) - respectively 500,500 and 750 and maybe Carecredit ($3K CL)?

Will keep till the day I die NFCU Visa & MC ($14K each), USAA MC & Amex($10K each), Discover (lousy 2K CL), and Green AmEx at $95 AF (which I rearely use but like CreditSecure).

Also have a $4700 Citi MC (no fee) which ratejacked me in Novemeber - it gathers dust.

What should I jettison to make life easier?

TIA,

Sandy

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 02-03-2010 01:11 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Too many cards - need a plan to whittle them down

Don't close any accounts unless they carry an AF and you know you will never use it again.  Some CCCs blacklist if you cloase an account with them and later on want to open one with them again.  Capitol 1 comes to mind (at least they did to me).
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 3
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Re: Too many cards - need a plan to whittle them down

Lady,

Marty's advice is right on, but I think your strategy fits.  You have 4-5 excellent cards with good limits--the rest are probably not necessary.  Just ensure that your util stays low, using the payment strategies on the forum.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.