cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many cards - which one to close?

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Too many cards - which one to close?

it doesn't really matter which one's you close. 

they all report for 10 years if closed in good standing. 

you already took the aaoa hit so you might as well leave it open if there is no af. 

doesnt the nfl card come with a 0% apr? 

i dont think youll have too much trouble getting another card unless you have high util and low income. (and or high # of inqs)

people want to be paid back 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 11 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@sqrt wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

Close none.

Then do I need to, say, use Delta card every 3 month? 

I may switch Delta to Blue cash anyway because the annual fee.

PC to a card that you like.  Close none unless you opened them just in the past couple of months.

I'm a bit confuzzled apparently; where does that make a difference in FICO or in underwriting?  If anything, uber short tradelines would be frowned upon by underwriting in my estimation, and I don't see where FICO cares (at least much, no seasoning bonus to be sure, may be a penalty in there somewhere but minor) either.

        
Message 12 of 36
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

He might end up closed a few card and end up denied for his new app spree......

That's even hurt more with Utili and large spending in a couple months.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 13 of 36
sqrt
Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@sqrt wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

Close none.

Then do I need to, say, use Delta card every 3 month? 

I may switch Delta to Blue cash anyway because the annual fee.

PC to a card that you like.  Close none unless you opened them just in the past couple of months.

I'm a bit confuzzled apparently; where does that make a difference in FICO or in underwriting?  If anything, uber short tradelines would be frowned upon by underwriting in my estimation, and I don't see where FICO cares (at least much, no seasoning bonus to be sure, may be a penalty in there somewhere but minor) either.

Yes, I am a bit confuse too...

freedom|forward|delta|spg|It|marriott|dividend|ua|aa|csp|typ
Message 14 of 36
sqrt
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont know if it makes sense to close your two highest limit cards (33% of your total credit) with the hope that you will be able to replace them with cards of like limits. You will risk killing your util with the hopes of getting a lower rate?

Also considering that you plan a big purchase, what happens if you cant get the rates you want or cant get another card. Now you have to still make your large purchase, but you have given away 33% of your limits.

Well, close the card is not equal to lose CL. 

I want to transfer CL of UA to freedom, also CL of Delta to SPG.

Message 15 of 36
sqrt
Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

He might end up closed a few card and end up denied for his new app spree......

That's even hurt more with Utili and large spending in a couple months.

I won't have a app spree.....just want to apply one 0 apr card for large purchase.

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sqrt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont know if it makes sense to close your two highest limit cards (33% of your total credit) with the hope that you will be able to replace them with cards of like limits. You will risk killing your util with the hopes of getting a lower rate?

Also considering that you plan a big purchase, what happens if you cant get the rates you want or cant get another card. Now you have to still make your large purchase, but you have given away 33% of your limits.

If your concern is that your limits are toohigh, how will that help you? youd have the same limits just on different cards. But in any event, this is better than closing the cards and losing the limits

Message 17 of 36
sqrt
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sqrt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If your concern is that your limits are toohigh, how will that help you? youd have the same limits just on different cards. But in any event, this is better than closing the cards and losing the limits

Well - I will have less cards in wallet, less cards to concern "which one to use". 

I just hate that you have to use the card every 6 month to keep it open. (not sure about this)

Message 18 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Oh and to jump on the main point; if you apply for a card and are denied, and they tell you it's because you have too many cards or too much available credit, then offer to close a card.  No need to do that beforehand really.

While it's true you don't lose much by closing a card, keeping it open even a day longer is marginally better at some point in the future; that extends into the advice of open a tradeline as soon as you can, and close it as late as possible too.  Other than a non-utilized card with an AF (or a security deposit), I think I'll struggle to come up with a rationale (I don't personally think the additional fraud risk is much if any) to close any card of mine in the next several decades... and even in those two scenarios I don't always decide to close it either honestly.  

        
Message 19 of 36
sqrt
Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Oh and to jump on the main point; if you apply for a card and are denied, and they tell you it's because you have too many cards or too much available credit, then offer to close a card.  No need to do that beforehand really.

While it's true you don't lose much by closing a card, keeping it open even a day longer is marginally better at some point in the future; that extends into the advice of open a tradeline as soon as you can, and close it as late as possible too.  Other than a non-utilized card with an AF (or a security deposit), I think I'll struggle to come up with a rationale (I don't personally think the additional fraud risk is much if any) to close any card of mine in the next several decades... and even in those two scenarios I don't always decide to close it either honestly.  

Hmm. Good point. Thanks!

I'll keep them open and sock drawed!

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.