Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many cards with the same bank???

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Too many cards with the same bank???

Greetings!

I currently have 2 cards with Chase. CSP and the SW SIgnature Visa that I use regularly. Although I have other cards, Best Buy Rewards Zone MC, a Visa through my credit union and a Visa through a local bank, I heavily use my 2 Chase cards. I was told that I should try to get some other prime cards such as Discover, AMEX or Citi because I should not have all my credit with one bank. Is this true and could this be a negative for me?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Too many cards with the same bank???

I really don't agree with this statement, I think you have enough cards and you seem happy with chase so just keep using them heavily as your primary
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I feel the opposite.  I don't recommend going crazy, but buildirepayment history with one ortoo other major issuers isn't bad idea.  This way you aren't screwed if that one relationship goes south.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 10
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I really don't agree with this statement, I think you have enough cards and you seem happy with chase so just keep using them heavily as your primary

+1

Don't get cards that you don't need and won't use, stick with Chase if that's what you like using.

Message 4 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My mom dad and sister have 1 cc each. Chase freedom.

They've relied solely on them for like the last 6 yrs, no issues
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My view on credit cards is only have just enough for the rewards you want and that you will use regularly. For me that is 2-3 cards.

The reason some say to have cards with multiple banks is if one card is ever locked for fraud you can still have others to use while it gets sorted out which is a good idea but only app for the card if you will use it regularly or if you want to use it as a bridge to get another card that you ultimately want with the same bank.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's worth it to atleast carry cards from two different lenders.  You don't have to use the secondary card very often, but it could be nice to have in case there is some issue with your primary bank and your card(s) are denied.  As far as being a negative for your credit, it isn't, you have plenty enough credit cards for a good credit score.

Message 7 of 10
bribro
Valued Contributor

I definitely think it's smart to hedge your CCC's. I like to have credit with at least 3 different banks.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@PrettyNPink wrote:

Greetings!

I currently have 2 cards with Chase. CSP and the SW SIgnature Visa that I use regularly. Although I have other cards, Best Buy Rewards Zone MC, a Visa through my credit union and a Visa through a local bank, I heavily use my 2 Chase cards. I was told that I should try to get some other prime cards such as Discover, AMEX or Citi because I should not have all my credit with one bank. Is this true and could this be a negative for me?

Thanks!

You already have CC with 4 banks.   that is enough diversity IMO.

Message 9 of 10
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@PrettyNPink wrote:

Greetings!

Thanks!

You already have CC with 4 banks.   that is enough diversity IMO.

Agree unless you desire more, diversity is a non-issue

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.