Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many cards

is there such a thing ? I see some people on this board list all there cards and their apping sprees - seems a little extreme to have 20 cards . Isn;t the goal to have a nice variety of cards, high limits and age ?? is 15 cards needed to do that - my goal are 2 gas cards, a discover , an amex, 1 mastercard, 1 visa and 2 store cards . thats 8 cards that I will let age. whats the point of 15-20 cards . trying to understand how that can be a good thing - please explain
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too many cards

@Anonymous wrote:
is there such a thing ? I see some people on this board list all there cards and their apping sprees - seems a little extreme to have 20 cards . Isn;t the goal to have a nice variety of cards, high limits and age ?? is 15 cards needed to do that - my goal are 2 gas cards, a discover , an amex, 1 mastercard, 1 visa and 2 store cards . thats 8 cards that I will let age. whats the point of 15-20 cards . trying to understand how that can be a good thing - please explain

I'll sum it up nice and easily. You can never have too much.Smiley Very Happy I love all my cards, i don't have 15 cards but close. And with everything going on with the credit crunch etc. You can never have to much....Smiley Wink 

King

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I can agree with 74king you can never have enough credit!! Its better to have it when you need in advance because if you dont get it while you can, you might not have it when you need it.Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you are applying for the main things we need credit for - houses and cars - can it be potentially be a bad thing to have alot of credit cards. doesn;t it prove you need credit ? the same way fico scores are adjusted with apping/inquiries  can having a whole lot more cards then necessary mean that a person needs credit ? also doesn;t more cards leave the door open for more debt ? also doesn;t it take a long time just doing the bills monthly.
Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eh my husband has 15 cards...

We use 3 each month, one we use for groceries , one used for gas and one for eating out.  We use those 3 cards for one month only and pay all those monthly charges off in full on the statement drop date (as well as paying down some of the existing debt on the cards that carry balances)

We rotate through the ones that don't carry a balance to make sure they stay active and eventually when all are paid down it just will mean that every card will get used every 4 months or so for a part of living and then PIF so no interest charges (and just leave a tiny balance on one card until it reports) You still only need to pay 3 or 4 things each month that way 

Message 5 of 31
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

8 cards is plenty. I might go with just 1 gas card and 1 store card and bump the Visa and MC up to 2 each tough.

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

8 cards is plenty. I might go with just 1 gas card and 1 store card and bump the Visa and MC up to 2 each tough.

Personally I see no value in gas cards or store cards in general.  You can buy gas and store items with a major card.  Gas and Store add nothing to you "mix" of credit.  They are just usually easier to get and higher limits when building than the majors sometimes.

I have 1 store card, and only because it is my oldest....Macys at almost 21 years.  I have no gas cards and don't plan to ever have one.  I do not plan to ever apply for any type of store card, I just do not see any value in them.

Message 7 of 31
techman2008
New Contributor

Hmmm I should get a few more cards lol.   

I have  discover miles, boa amex, boa visa, macy's visa,   My aaoa is 9years. 

Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 31
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 Gas and Store add nothing to you "mix" of credit. 

This is the exact opposite of what I've been reading on here the last few months.  Anyone else care to chime in on this one?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

store cards for the extra discounts offered only - especially for childrens place and macy's. gas cards because i like to keep exact count of my gas paid for business reasons. I just would not want to complicate my life with 20 cards. don;t see the purpose so I was wondering if there was some reason i was missing that can potentially hurt me not having 15,20 or 25 cards.
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.