Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many cards

tag
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Too many cards

Are we all getting these cards cause we really need them.  I used to shop a lot.( ia m a girlie girl( now with two kids I can't... but I need to realize I really don't needs these cards. I don't Plan on using them.  Why do I apply in the first place.  i just want good credit.  But i have all I need now. Use what ihave sparingley and my scores will go up without me even noticing.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too many cards

Smiley Wink

laryn41 wrote:
Are we all getting these cards cause we really need them.  I used to shop a lot.( ia m a girlie girl( now with two kids I can't... but I need to realize I really don't needs these cards. I don't Plan on using them.  Why do I apply in the first place.  i just want good credit.  But i have all I need now. Use what ihave sparingley and my scores will go up without me even noticing.

Each one of us is different and has different needs. Some are trying to improve their scores to get a better mortgage rate. Some, like myself, do not need a mortgage. Instead, we are just trying to move from Sub-Prime to the next level (Mid-Prime?), so we are applying in hopes of getting higher CLs and lower APRs with less fees.

And then there are the addicts. Yes, some are addicts. The card is not as important as the thrill of the application process. Almost got me for sure, even tho like you, I have all I need and now need to manage it well to raise scores and then on to the world of Prime. Can't wait!Smiley HappySmiley Surprised
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lets admit it, seeing that screen tell you that you are 'good enough' gets addicting. I still have the excuse that I am trying to get better cards, but with the PenFed approval who am I kidding?.

I have decided on a plan.  If a card does nothing for me I will not app. Do I really shop with ANY credit card enough to earn a free airline ticket or a cruise.  NO.  So why get the card? I just cancelled a card with a decent limit because it did nothing for me and t made no sense to have a card that I didn't use just taking up credit limit increase space.

These are the cards I have for now

1. HSBC flat 2% cash back - no explanation necessary
2. CB&T Visa Platinum - 9.25% APR - cash advance and BT same as purchases all the time- ) balance til I need to use it and it is my oldest open card.
3. PenFed - Great BT - Great interest - other bennies same as CB&T want a relationship with these guys.
4. CapOne - will use it for one last BT 1.99 for life then I think it will ash can cause they are stingy
5. BestBuy MasterCard -a geek can never have too many electronic rewards certs though I rarely use it
6. BB Store - Same s above and great financing offers on large purchases
7. CC- Same as above and above - cause a geek plus a teenager needs all types of electronic rewards and if BB doesn't have it Circuit City will
8. Target - upgraded from Store to Visa and I like th fact tha when I do use i, it benefits my son's school
9. WaMu - just because they have been so darned good over the course of my relationship so far that they would have to give me reason to cancel besides they upgraded me to CB as well use and pay in full

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy wrote:
Lets admit it, seeing that screen tell you that you are 'good enough' gets addicting. I still have the excuse that I am trying to get better cards, but with the PenFed approval who am I kidding?.

I have decided on a plan.  If a card does nothing for me I will not app. Do I really shop with ANY credit card enough to earn a free airline ticket or a cruise.  NO.  So why get the card? I just cancelled a card with a decent limit because it did nothing for me and t made no sense to have a card that I didn't use just taking up credit limit increase space.

These are the cards I have for now

1. HSBC flat 2% cash back - no explanation necessary
2. CB&T Visa Platinum - 9.25% APR - cash advance and BT same as purchases all the time- ) balance til I need to use it and it is my oldest open card.
3. PenFed - Great BT - Great interest - other bennies same as CB&T want a relationship with these guys.
4. CapOne - will use it for one last BT 1.99 for life then I think it will ash can cause they are stingy
5. BestBuy MasterCard -a geek can never have too many electronic rewards certs though I rarely use it
6. BB Store - Same s above and great financing offers on large purchases
7. CC- Same as above and above - cause a geek plus a teenager needs all types of electronic rewards and if BB doesn't have it Circuit City will
8. Target - upgraded from Store to Visa and I like th fact tha when I do use i, it benefits my son's school
9. WaMu - just because they have been so darned good over the course of my relationship so far that they would have to give me reason to cancel besides they upgraded me to CB as well use and pay in full

Very well said Brammy! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 7
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Thanks to you guys.  That's what i mean.  I really don't need all the credit.  But you are right the thrill of the application process is awesome. I have a  Target Card too. Been with them since 2005 and the will not upgrade me.  I refuse to use only for small purchases.  What i usually do if pay the bill when i get home. Is that ok?  I usually don't even wait till the statement comes out.  It is so funny how I have changed. I used to charge up the max and even go over just to get some jeans..  If I have 20 bucks  left on my card I would max it out just to have money to spend.  Now i don't even want to charge anything.  I usually spend on my creditcard what i have in my checking and the same day send it to the CC.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

laryn41 wrote:
Thanks to you guys.  That's what i mean.  I really don't need all the credit.  But you are right the thrill of the application process is awesome. I have a  Target Card too. Been with them since 2005 and the will not upgrade me.  I refuse to use only for small purchases.  What i usually do if pay the bill when i get home. Is that ok?  I usually don't even wait till the statement comes out.  It is so funny how I have changed. I used to charge up the max and even go over just to get some jeans..  If I have 20 bucks  left on my card I would max it out just to have money to spend.  Now i don't even want to charge anything.  I usually spend on my creditcard what i have in my checking and the same day send it to the CC.

I have the same problem with Target. Been with them going on 2 yrs with no CLI and they won't convert me over to Visa because of BK. But my DW has same BK listed on her report and they recently converted her from Redcard $200 CL to Visa $1500 CL without her asking. Go figure. LOL
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure why Taget is not upgrading you.  Cant be the BK cause I have one too.  I got the same card your DW did.  Maybe just incentive to use it since I never used the store card except enough to keep it reporting every three months or so on pet food
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.