Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many cash back cards ?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many cash back cards ?!

freedom , Discover it , Double cash , Bofa cash rewards ........ What to do ? Keep , PC or Delete ?! 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too many cash back cards ?!

Get rid of all of them, so you can apply for them again 😁
Message 2 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

IMO, there's little to no need to have the Freedom and the Discover. They overlap throughout the year, and are just essentially the same thing. One earns UR points, one earns plain cash. Unless you're using the UR points to transfer to a CSP, I find the Freedom less useful IMO -- the categories tend to be more restrictive such as Lowe's vs. just home improvement stores, or Amazon vs. just online shopping.

Discover has broader categories and a better online portal IMO. Discover does SP CLI's and lowers APRs. Chase requires HP for CLI and almost never lowers APR. I like Discover better as a lender because they tend to grow with you more (in my personal experience).

If you're gonna dump one I'd dump the Freedom. Also, BOA Cash Rewards is largely useless since you have a Double Cash. Unless your gas spend is very high, you won't see much difference in dumping the cash rewards.

Message 3 of 33
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Get rid of all of them, so you can apply for them again 😁

+1

Seriously, though, get rid of the ones you don't benefit from...and by that I mean, close that godawful BofA Cash Rewards card. With the other cards you have, it's pretty much useless.

Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would send bofa cash to the chopping block but then my aaoa will be 24 hrs old Smiley Tongue .... Bofa cash is one of my oldest cards 2 yrs 

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it shows up on your report up to 10 years after closing, so no worries.
Message 6 of 33
NRB525
Super Contributor

There's no AF on any of them, so I'm not clear why you are worried yet about them at all. Each provides a payment history to that bank for future apping. And if you are only at two years total, you are still building history with everyone.

And the Discover and Freedom do not overlap. Sometimes they do, like Q2 this year with some dining. Gasoline, however is Q1 Discover, Q3 Freedom.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 33
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

freedom , Discover it , Double cash , Bofa cash rewards ........ What to do ? Keep , PC or Delete ?! 

I'd keep Freedom and Discover It open. Freedom's even better with a CSP IMO.

You don't need BoA Cash Rewards if you've alraedy met the sign up bonus on it. I closed it in favor of an Alaska Air card and a few weeks later still got the bonus deposited into my checking account. You're better off with the Better Balance Rewards card if you still want something with BoA.

Double Cash depends on how much you're personally benefitting from it.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 8 of 33
Runitup
Regular Contributor

No way, keep BOA.  Great limits/potential for CLI and they are forever offering 0% deals.  If the other cards aren't offering groceries and gas in a quarter, the cash rewards certainly has a place in your wallet, imho.  

Message 9 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Discover and Freedom certainly do overlap throughout the year. During the same quarters not usually. I meant during the year. just to be personally its redundant to have two of basically the same card but YMMV and a Freedom is enhanced with CSP as I mentioned originally. Otherwise tho, no real point in having both.

You can close the BOA without caring about the AAOA. Its unaffected by closing accounts.

Why would OP use the cash rewards for groceries when they have a Double Cash at 2 percent for everything? The gas at 3 percent is an edge for BOA but its not gonna add up to much more unless your gas spend is really high.
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.