Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many credit cards?

I have 7 credit cards.. I'm working hard to pay them off since I wasn't so responsible with them in the past.  I have a balance remaining on 3! (congrats to me Smiley Very Happy)  Will having 7 cards make me look bad to loan companies even if they don't have a balance?  I want to buy a house next year.  Should I close them?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too many credit cards?

Don't close them -

Closing cards needs to be very calculated-
A few rules-
Reduce or eliminate AF's
Don't close oldest account
Make sure closing does not affect UTL negatively.
If no AF - leave it open and use it every 6 months,

Make sure you only have a balance on less than 1/2 of ALL open accts (including installment and mortgage)
Message 2 of 9
cobra19
Valued Contributor

tb.............7 cards is not excessive. I have 8.  Let no more than 3 of your 7 carry small balances.  
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like cobra19, I also have 8 credit cards, and my 3 FICOs are in the 800s. 
Message 4 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have added 18 new accounts in 2007. Despite all the new accounts and inquiies, I also managed to raise my score from  554 to 660.  I got 3 more Paid Collections to get out in 2008. Hoping to reach the 700 club in 2008.
Message 5 of 9
rubaty
Frequent Contributor

I have 20 accts and have recently used the advice of other people on the forums about keeping my UTL low and only keep a balance on a few each month.  Since I have so many, I'm letting a balance show on 5 each month and then I PIF.  Hopefully, by the end of 2008 I will be at my goal of 777!Smiley Very Happy

Current Score: EX 772 EQ 777 TU 783 15 Jan 17
Goal Score: 815 across the board by Jan 18

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have nine and got a car with a decent rate and a mortgage with a great rate--I dont think its the amount of credit its how you manage it Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 8 of 9
divasheart

What cards did you get in 2007? Did getting all of those cards and the inquiries hurt you at all?

I got a few this past year and it dragged my score down, but I am seeing it slowly go back up with each month that passes. I make my monthly payments on time. Thanks.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.