Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many inquiries?

tag
k0csi
Valued Member

Too many inquiries?

So in July I got a BoA BankAmericard, just CLI'd it with another HP.  In August I got an AmEx BCE.  Also in that time, I refinanced my car with my work's credit union (only did a HP on Experian for some reason).  And then in June when I got Verizon for a data plan (no contract as I had my device) they did a HP too I guess.  I also did a HP CLI on another Citi retail card I had and for Chase Amazon card.  So basically, I'm sitting on quite a few inquirines right now and have been contemplating if I should wait or if I should apply for a Discover IT so I can get the account open and start aging that.  Pretty much once I get that card I think I'll be pretty much done with applications and can then just let the accounts age.  Is that too many inquiries in a short period of time?  Would adding another likely affect CLI for my AmEx here next month?  Just wondering other people's experience; so far I've managed to restrain myself from clicking "Apply"

9-11-13 FICO EQ: 726 - Current EQ FICO: 735 - Goal: 800

------$5900-----------$3800-----------$5500-----------$8000-----------$1100---------$13000----------$4000-----------$7000------
Goodyear Service - $2000, Ford Service $2000, Discovery Furniture $8000
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Too many inquiries?

My guess is that some of those inquiries are spread around to different CRs, which will help your INQ count. Do you know how these INQs are spread around, and which bureau Discover might pull for you?

Also, depending on the rest of your credit profile, this many INQs may not have a large effect on your approval chances, I think we need more information.

But lets just say this: there are plenty of people out there with more INQs than you, and some of them still get approved for everything for which they apply. Your chances are really going to depend, but INQs aren't the end of the world by any means.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Eh, I got approved for all major issuers with 8-11 inqs.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@k0csi wrote:

So in July I got a BoA BankAmericard, just CLI'd it with another HP.  In August I got an AmEx BCE.  Also in that time, I refinanced my car with my work's credit union (only did a HP on Experian for some reason).  And then in June when I got Verizon for a data plan (no contract as I had my device) they did a HP too I guess.  I also did a HP CLI on another Citi retail card I had and for Chase Amazon card.  So basically, I'm sitting on quite a few inquirines right now and have been contemplating if I should wait or if I should apply for a Discover IT so I can get the account open and start aging that.  Pretty much once I get that card I think I'll be pretty much done with applications and can then just let the accounts age.  Is that too many inquiries in a short period of time?  Would adding another likely affect CLI for my AmEx here next month?  Just wondering other people's experience; so far I've managed to restrain myself from clicking "Apply"

I count 6 HP's in less than 3 months with your scores I don't see a problem providing previous to those pulls you didn't have any others this year.

Discover pulled EQ for me and they can be all over the map with limits.

I see in your sig you have the Amex Lowes BIz card how do you like it? I love mine  

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 18
k0csi
Valued Member

Here's a more accurate description of my HPs currently...

EQ

9/23/13 - Citi/Best Buy

8/6/13 - Chase

8/10/12 Mortgage Hunting

8/9/12 Mortgage Hunting

5/3/12 Mortgage Hunting

6/24/13 - Verizon

TX

9/17/13 BoA

8/14/13 Chase

9/7/12 Chase

8/10/12 Mortgage Hunting

8/9/12 Mortgage Hunting

5/3/12 Mortgage Hunting

12/21/11 Landmark - Car Loan

EX

8/15/13 - AmEx

8/14/13 - Chase

8/5/13 - Topeka Police Credit Union

7/17/13 - BoA

1/3/13 - Citi/Ford Service

9/7/12 - Chase

8/10/12 Mortgage Hunting

8/9/12 Mortgage Hunting

5/3/12 Mortgage Hunting

1/4/12 - Citi/Goodyear

So it wouldn't necessarily be excessive to add one more HP and then call it good for the long hall?

------$5900-----------$3800-----------$5500-----------$8000-----------$1100---------$13000----------$4000-----------$7000------
Message 5 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@k0csi wrote:

EQ

9/23/13 - Citi/Best Buy

8/6/13 - Chase

8/10/12 Mortgage Hunting

8/9/12 Mortgage Hunting

5/3/12 Mortgage Hunting

6/24/13 - Verizon

TX

9/17/13 BoA

8/14/13 Chase

9/7/12 Chase

8/10/12 Mortgage Hunting

8/9/12 Mortgage Hunting

5/3/12 Mortgage Hunting

12/21/11 Landmark - Car Loan

EX

8/15/13 - AmEx

8/14/13 - Chase

8/5/13 - Topeka Police Credit Union

7/17/13 - BoA

1/3/13 - Citi/Ford Service

9/7/12 - Chase

8/10/12 Mortgage Hunting

8/9/12 Mortgage Hunting

5/3/12 Mortgage Hunting

1/4/12 - Citi/Goodyear

So it wouldn't necessarily be excessive to add one more HP and then call it good for the long hall?

That's now 10 HP's this year 

FYI as a learning experience

HP's affect scores for 6-12 months 

After 1 year they have no scoring ding but remain on CR's for 2 years 

So with 10 this year and I counted quick it's time to wrap it up and hit the garden 

EDIT Discover usually pulls EQ and in some cases TU 

INQ's there aren't bad but not good either YMMV

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 18
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I had twenty eight or seven on Experian when they gave me a 12,000 limit and I had probably twenty four or so when I received a 4000 increase in May. Anyone that checks Experian has never even questioned the inquiries, which is odd.

Message 7 of 18
k0csi
Valued Member

@myjourney wrote:

@k0csi wrote:

So with 10 this year and I counted quick it's time to wrap it up and hit the garden 

So would you consider each inquiry even between the different CRAs?  Or would you look at each individually,  so X inqs wih EQ, EX, TU?

Message 8 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@k0csi wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@k0csi wrote:

So would you consider each inquiry even between the different CRAs?  Or would you look at each individually,  so X inqs wih EQ, EX, TU?

I would consider 10 across all CR's in a year high but you only have 2 new on EQ and TU which isn't to bad and if you had to recon you could explain any mortgage INQ's as one

So if you're going to garden after I would say go for it and good luck

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

WAIT

Question how many chase cards do you have I see Chase pulled 4 times in a month?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.