Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many open accounts? :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many open accounts? :(

So i pulled all three reports through equifax, because i have their monthly premier subscription, and for all three i have a negative factor which says " Too many open accounts" well no argument there, but how much is this actually hurting me? I have no balance on any cards but one which is 0 apr for 18 months on my slate card and i'm taking advantage of that while i'm trying to pay off my wedding expenses, but besides that and the quite a few inquires which i obtained most of them 1.5 years ago due to starting off fresh in the credit game and apping for all the cards i needed. At 18 i only had 2 cards and once i established credit for about 3 years, i went for all the cards i wanted with no deniels ever, now i'm impatiently awaiting for my inquires to drop. Anyways back to the main point, after how many open accounts does that negative factor comes in play?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too many open accounts? :(

@Anonymous wrote:

So i pulled all three reports through equifax, because i have their monthly premier subscription, and for all three i have a negative factor which says " Too many open accounts" well no argument there, but how much is this actually hurting me? I have no balance on any cards but one which is 0 apr for 18 months on my slate card and i'm taking advantage of that while i'm trying to pay off my wedding expenses, but besides that and the quite a few inquires which i obtained most of them 1.5 years ago due to starting off fresh in the credit game and apping for all the cards i needed. At 18 i only had 2 cards and once i established credit for about 3 years, i went for all the cards i wanted with no deniels ever, now i'm impatiently awaiting for my inquires to drop. Anyways back to the main point, after how many open accounts does that negative factor comes in play?

What are your scores.  I think that all of the monitoring sites like to give out 'negative' factors even when they aren't that big of a deal.

Message 2 of 24
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What are your scores.  I think that all of the monitoring sites like to give out 'negative' factors even when they aren't that big of a deal.

Since this comment is from EQ and not Fico but Fako I would simply ignore it.  I doubt that this comment would come on Fico with the accounts you have. Members like Ron or CA might know if this really comes in a Fico model as they have way more cards

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frankly, I get the same comment and my scores are in the 800's so I ignore it. Like you I wonder what is the right number of cards. Many people on this forum report way more cards than I have so ... Phooey!
Message 4 of 24
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@ArmyVietVet wrote:
Frankly, I get the same comment and my scores are in the 800's so I ignore it. Like you I wonder what is the right number of cards. Many people on this forum report way more cards than I have so ... Phooey!

+1000

Don't stress about negative factors listed.  Even those listed on real fico score reports are non factors in a sense that the algorithm used is so touchy.  You will stress to fix something listed and then something else will be listed a negative factor.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 5 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

Well, you just got DC so it's not been a factor yet. When you start getting denials on cards you really want, where the denial letter calls out that "too many cards" as a reason, then you need to look seriously at it.

Until then, you'll have your work cut out for you finding ANY cards you don't already have Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 24
Chris679
Established Contributor

FICO would never give you that reason and will not score any inquiries over one year old. I'm going to guess that your scores are in the mid 700s and the only thing bringing them "down" is the fact that you have a short history and lots of new accounts. Sounds to me like you are doing great.
Message 7 of 24
notalemming

Would someone please explain to me why people have so many credit cards?  It seems to me that it would be hard to keep up with all the due dates, etc.  I have two, one World Mastercard and one Visa Signature.  On Credit Karma, it did say on my report that I had a low number of accounts, but my FICO is 834, so I guess it is not that bad.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notalemming wrote:

Would someone please explain to me why people have so many credit cards?  It seems to me that it would be hard to keep up with all the due dates, etc.  I have two, one World Mastercard and one Visa Signature.  On Credit Karma, it did say on my report that I had a low number of accounts, but my FICO is 834, so I guess it is not that bad.

Because of all the pretty colors.

It's like a rainbow you can spend.

Message 9 of 24
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@notalemming wrote:

Can't speak for anyone else or how many you consider "so many", but I do it for the differrent rewards on each card.  It workd for me and it's easy to keep up with. Charge for the rewards, pay off the balance before the due daye, whallah.  Also, 3 cards in my sig, I do not use anymore and I only carry 2 cards.

Two works for you in your world, that's awesome for you.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.