Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many recent cc apps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many recent cc apps

I'm not sure what to do. I've gone and read through a few of the long discussions regarding credit history and closing accounts but none of it seems relevant to my situation.

Basically, I got too many new cards last year. Between December 07 and June 08, I got six cards. Three are store cards, one is a larger limit ($15000), and 2 small/medium limit ($6000. I am 24. I have other CC's that I've had since I was 18. Only one card has ever carried a balance (a furniture card that had a year no interest), but that is paid off. For all other cards, I've never carried a balance. My total credit limit for all my cards is roughly $40000. I seldom spend more than $1200 between 2 cards per month, and I pay it off in full month.

My problem: My score was lowered because I have too many recent credit applications. How much I'm not exactly sure but I know 10 points for sure.

My question: Is there anything I can do to make the situation better in the short term? Would it help my score to cancel 2 furniture store cards that I've had less than 12 months. They have $0 balances. The combined limit of them is $7000.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

Message Edited by xeon on 01-06-2009 11:59 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
notmyname
Regular Contributor

Re: Too many recent cc apps

Do not cancel ANY cards.

Your fico score will recover lost points and possibly more. Then , it is a matter of aging which means no applications and letting your report see how you are handling your new credit. Several new cards can imply someone who needs credit and will max it, but once you treat your accounts as you have been you will age fast.

Stay away from inquiries for a year.

Good luck,

NMN

ETA; To say welcome to MyFico.

Message Edited by notmyname on 01-07-2009 02:18 AM
Message 2 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My question: Is there anything I can do to make the situation better in the short term? Would it help my score to cancel 2 furniture store cards that I've had less than 12 months. They have $0 balances. The combined limit of them is $7000.

No and dont cancel any cards.  Dont apply for any new credit till after June.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 4
mamalawery
New Contributor

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR CARDS!!!!! it will back fire on you. just wait until the 1 - 2 year inquiry hit is over and then you should see your score rebound. cbr's don't like all the inquries. it's just a waitning game now. if any dup inq try and get them removed.
***I was an app addict, and I'm not ashamed to say it!***
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.