Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many store cards?

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Too many store cards?

I currently have 8 store card accounts, I do not want to axe any GE accounts which occupy 6 of the 8 accounts. Best Buy and Firestone are the other 2. With the new prime lenders i've aquired in the past 6 months i'm a little worried they will not like all of these other accounts opened.

Is this something i'm just overthinking or could it be an issue?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Too many store cards?

You have been doing great!  Smiley Happy

I would not worry about this at all.... They won't cancel you out for getting better cards. You might end up cancelling some of "them" out...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 2 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

You have been doing great!  Smiley Happy

I would not worry about this at all.... They won't cancel you out for getting better cards. You might end up cancelling some of "them" out...

I'm considering axing BB if they do not grant a CLI this month, 1K CL there is low and is not useful for what I want it for (3D TV next year)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 23
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Most creditors are really not concerned about the number of cards you have, their main concerned is

how you are using (THEIR) cards.

Unless you are in the market for a mortgage, I would not let it bother you.

Message 4 of 23
score_building
Senior Contributor

Too late to worry about it now but 8 is a lot of store cards IMO, if they have some utility, hopefully a lot -then so be it.

Otherwise, they could be taking the place of a mc, discover, amex, visa card.

Close those that will not get used and/or are low limits IF planning to close any to make more room for majors. No rush but the big league cards may ultimately have staying power down the road.

At this point, would at least consider adding no more store cards, if those currently have work for you than it's all good. The idea is not to have useless store card taking up too much space in the roster. IMHO, with store cards in general, moderation can be key. YMMV.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I have 10 store cards, 8 reporting, no issues so far, I don't think they major credit card company care about store cards for the most part there is limited danger to over using them. You can't get  $1000 in cash  off a jcpenny card.  You can't use it at the local cashino or pay a lawyer bill with it. For the most part they are low limit cards. Just don't max your your major cards  MC/Visa.DISC/AMEX and they are fine. They hope there rewards structures keep you using there cards instead of the store cards. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 23
android01
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I currently have 8 store card accounts, I do not want to axe any GE accounts which occupy 6 of the 8 accounts. Best Buy and Firestone are the other 2. With the new prime lenders i've aquired in the past 6 months i'm a little worried they will not like all of these other accounts opened.

Is this something i'm just overthinking or could it be an issue?

You are definately overthinking this LS.  However, I'd get rid of ALL of the store cards except for one.  I'm pretty sure you can use Visa, MC, AMEX or Discover at any of those stores.  Is there a good reason for keeping them?    

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

ithink you can close out cards which are not in use. 

Message 8 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You can SD with no issues, if they close later, no biggie, I would set myself up a timeline on how many store cards I want by such and such date... Then, evaluate all of the cards at a defined interval and axe the ones that you can't see EVER fitting your needs again

You're doing awesome!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 23
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I like store cards assuming you shop there.    They offer a lot of discounts and you often get deffered interest deals for larger puchases.  They also are easiest to qualify for.  It is easier to keep for many years even if you don't them much.   Over time they offer a great base for account age, oldest and AAoA.    Co branded store cards are even better. I would keep them all.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.