cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much credit card capacity compared to income.

tag
pkosheta
Contributor

Too much credit card capacity compared to income.

I have a lot of credit card capacity, see below. Util is 3-4% max per month.
Just got approved for 7k from citi for hilton reserve and awaiting my limit from us bank for the club carlson card.
Any ideas on how much is too much relative to income? If I keep this up and keep getting auto increases I'll be at double my income in individual limits before I know it...and then unlikely to be able to get new cards. It's a problem I get many people would like to have I spose so not complaining, just curious about experiences or thoughts.
Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Too much credit card capacity compared to income.

my partner has credit limits that exceed his income x 5 i would say if not more!!

Message 2 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Citi declined a CLI giving the reason that I had too much credit for income.  The ratio was very small, maybe 1.5 to 1, and I think it was probably too much exposure to Citi.  With no change in income or credit score, Capital One and Amex gave me three CLIs and Chase gave me a new card since then, so not a global measure for all issuers! (Though what is).

Message 3 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Citi declined a CLI giving the reason that I had too much credit for income.  The ratio was very small, maybe 1.5 to 1, and I think it was probably too much exposure to Citi.  With no change in income or credit score, Capital One and Amex gave me three CLIs and Chase gave me a new card since then, so not a global measure for all issuers! (Though what is).

as with most things credit related, time cures most if not all problems, when you only have one or two years with the company they may not like CL's over your income, but if you have 5+ years with the credit card company and a perfect record they will not weigh your income vs total credit limits as they did when you first started with the company. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 8
wiivile
New Contributor

Depends really on the income as well. If you're a student making less than 30k, then banks will definitely see it as a problem. If you're making 100k+ banks will probably view you as less of a risk, even if the total credit limit is higher than income. Why? Because someone making 30k is more likely to need to utilize all that credit. How much income are we talking about?

Chase Freedom Visa: 11/2009, $4,700 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,000 CL
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,700 CL
Message 5 of 8
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

When it comes to credit to income ratio, I think a lender draws a distinct line for how much credit they can give you and considers less the credit by other lenders.

Message 6 of 8
gsmothermon

I'm also considering applying for this card. If I may ask, what income did you put on your app to be approved? My FICO is 702

Message 7 of 8
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@gsmothermon wrote:

I'm also considering applying for this card. If I may ask, what income did you put on your app to be approved? My FICO is 702

Remember that income is not the only factor for approval. They'll look at your entire profile including AAoA, util, INQs, etc. Best of luck if you do apply! Smiley Happy

I've never been denied credit for that reason. I'm a student making about $35 K, and my limits are quite high. I used my partner's income as well for the Chase Southwest app (hence the limit being so high vs. my income), but everything else was under my own finances. I think lenders won't get spooked by a high credit to income ratio unless your util is high and you've been aggressively seeking credit. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.