Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Took the Ax to Cap 1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Took the Ax to Cap 1

I've held the same Cap 1 card for years.  Though for a long time I've sock drawered it (suspended the account and cut up the card).  For the umpteenth time Cap 1 declined a CLI from 5k or a reduction in my interest rate (sitting at a beautiful 24%).  Despite always paying in full and managing my credit wisely.  For a very long time Cap 1 was my lowest limit card and my highest interest bearing account leading me to never use it.  Comically enough Cap 1 would frequently cite my low usage as a reason for not increaseing the CL or reducing the interest.  It was a viscious cycle.

I've needed to pull in my number of accounts for awhile so this is a win win for me.  I probably should have done this a lot sooner, but I kept thinking they'd eventually see that a 5k limit card at 24% interest isn't of value to someone with a near 800 FICO.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Took the Ax to Cap 1

Good call Op - I canned my last Cap-1 branded card early last spring for the same reason, high APR - no or little growth, and I had a bunch of their products over the years - closed them all.

On the other hand the Cap-1 backed GM Card has treated me well - started at $5k and has increased > $10k > $11k > $12.5k in two years and I have over $700 banked for the next Chevy. 

Message 2 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats OP on closing a card, nothing wrong with that.

The reason the card stayed at $5k and 24% APR was likely because that was the profile you fit when you apped it, pre-800 range. Regardless how your profile changes, the card does not.

If you had apped a Venture, likely would be more pleased with the CL, though the APR is a grab bag.

For those who want to "evolve" their $5k Cap One to large limits, particularly if the Cap One card has been in your file several years, there is no pathway via a single CapOne card. The only route is to use the $5k card well, then app another card, usually a Venture when you have built up a good history with Cap One.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

NRB beat me to it. It's well known Capital one cards obtained when your scores are in rebuilding stage don't grow much if any. The only way I was able to grow mine is as NRB says. Mine was stuck at $1100 for 8 years. Now its nearly $50k. Th APR is still high. Not something I'm concerned about since I always PIF. APRs are meaningless for folks like me.
Message 4 of 8
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

OP, I axed CapOne for the same reason.  At leaast you got to 5K though...lol    There are better cards out there.   CapOne dosen't seem to like me though.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne rebuilder cards don't grow. I'm most likely axing mine next year as well.
Message 6 of 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

what everyone needs to do is keep their old cards, then apply for a newer cap1 cc like venture with higher starting limits, and lower apr, and then after 6months...combine the cards!! Thats what I did Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know, Cap One is a bit strange. I initially had a QC with 5K limit, than applied for a Venture. Got a 20K CL, my highest to date. They automatically gave me a 3K limit on my QC a few month's after I had it, but have turned me down twice on a CL raise on my Venture stating both times "not enough usage compared to CL". I run about 2K a month thru the Venture, and have tried PIF, carrying a balance, etc... to no avail. So who knows. I'm happy with the 20K CL, and my only real reason to try to raise it was to hopefully receive higher CL's with my other CC's or future CC's.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.