Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top 10 CC for high rollers

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Top 10 CC for high rollers

Saw an interesting list of the top ten credit cards for high rollers (or those who think they are) on The Points Guy blog. Pretty good run down of benefits all in one place. Feel free to discuss the ins and outs of the over the top AF cards listed. 

I carry a couple of them, my favorite right now is the Delta Reserve for Business. I just got my second tier spend bonuses on this card, year to date I have earned 30K miles and 30K MQM on top of the 60K miles earned for a $60K spend. If I were not seeking to retain and increase my Delta Medallion status this card would be useless, but combined with my personal Delta Platinum I am netting a ton of miles and MQM with the spend threshold rewards. And yes, it sucks to be stuck with Delta - but the service always seems good to me. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Top 10 CC for high rollers

Interesting read. 

Not sure there would be many folks here (or at other forums) that would include The Black Card on any list purported to be exclusive, since just about anyone can get one if you're willing to pony up the hefty AF.  And as stated in the article, there's better cards for sure, not really clear why that card was included, unless for pretentiousness. 

AFAIK, the BofA Accolades was ported over to Merrill Lynch a few years back, and was available from ML generally up until fairly recently.  It's been removed from the ML website and I think it may still be available, but by invitation only. 

Message 2 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Nice synopsis!

Pretty comprehensive list.  I'd agree with most of his assessments.  The card that seems compelling to me is the Citi Executive AA's ability to earn elite miles.  Assuming the merger with US Air is approved, I'll have so many AA miles, it would make sense to use this card for elite status.  

Message 3 of 12
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

I have to agree with other posters, WHY IS THE VISA BLACK CARD ON THIS LIST? 

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 4 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Lol I was wondering **bleep** is the black card doing up there too. The only perks listed sounds terrible. Even the united explorer or basic delta / AA card seems to be better. The CSP is a lot better IMO and its not even on there while the black card is. Not saying the CSP is for high rollers, but I think its a better card than the black card is.

Well the author did say "for those who think they are" high rollers as well.... So I guess that AF and shiny carbon fiber card serves that purpose? I still can't understand people who apply for a card simply because its metal / carbon fiber....
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Lol I was wondering **bleep** is the black card doing up there too. 

If you received an affilates commision from Barclay for people app'ing for the Arrival cards, wouldn't you think it prudent to include it?  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

I feel the CSP is a higher level and better rewards / customer service! But that's just me!
AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
Message 7 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Interesting read. 

Not sure there would be many folks here (or at other forums) that would include The Black Card on any list purported to be exclusive, since just about anyone can get one if you're willing to pony up the hefty AF.

Not to defend the black card, but is it really much easier to get than the Amex Plat?   Note, I agree that the Amex is MUCH better value, but it is hardly exclusive either, you just need to meet the (relatively minimal) requirements for an Amex charge card, and be willing to, as you say, pony up the hefty AF.

Message 8 of 12
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

I can see what your saying about the AMEX, but overall the AMEX has better value, that black card is a waste imo! I would much rather have my CSP or really just use my debit card hahaSmiley Happy I just don't see the value in that card, especially after reading the LACK of rewards and the mediocre customer service. 

Message 9 of 12
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

Interesting read. 

Not sure there would be many folks here (or at other forums) that would include The Black Card on any list purported to be exclusive, since just about anyone can get one if you're willing to pony up the hefty AF.

Not to defend the black card, but is it really much easier to get than the Amex Plat?   Note, I agree that the Amex is MUCH better value, but it is hardly exclusive either, you just need to meet the (relatively minimal) requirements for an Amex charge card, and be willing to, as you say, pony up the hefty AF.

I'm not really sure the post was about the hardest cards to get, it was more about the cards for high rollers (ex. people willing to pay the fee) or people wanting to look like high rollers.

BTW I used my CSP at a bar Friday night and a guy I knew pretty well asked me if it was a 'mastercard black'?  I just ignored that.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.