Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topping out-- when do you stop?

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Topping out-- when do you stop?

One more...I just want ONE more...  Smiley Tongue

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 11 of 21
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

The best rule of thumb I've heard for how much is to multiply your average monthly CC spend by 10-15x, then your util will never be greater than 10-15%.

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 12 of 21
iwazl71
Frequent Contributor

I think when you no longer get a kick out of it, you should stop.  I have over 400k of credit but I still enjoy trying to assemble my collection.

Scores: EQ 796, EX 790, TU 807
Personal and Business Cards: 31 with 763k
High Limit Cards: CSP 50k | BoA Cash 81k | NFCU flagship 60k | Penfed Rewards 50k | Aviator Silver 52k
Message 13 of 21
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I'm at the point where I don't need anymore credit. But, I'll still apply for a few credit card signup bonuses, and I have no problem closing the cards later.

But If you don't want to play that game, you can always sit pat and find something else to occupy your time. Perhaps Hulu.com ...

I'm actually okay with that game!  Smiley Wink 

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 14 of 21
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

I only plan to app for one more card and from there try to get them, if possible, to a 10K+ limit*.

My Discover started at $7,500 and they auto-CLI'd after my third statement. I'm hoping Discover will give me another auto-CLI after my sixth statement cuts. It's currently at $9,500. If they don't I'm just going to SP for a CLI of $3,000 and pray they give me at least $500. Hopefully they give it to me as I've been using this card HEAVILY and carrying a balance on it (thought it's currently 0% APR), due to unforseen dental expenses, though it'll all be paid off by mid/end August.

Cap1 is currently at $5,000. I don't hold out much hope for this card as I use it solely for my monthly bills (insurance, phone, water, lights, etc.), and they don't total any more than ~$470, max. I figure I could also put my rent on the card, but I'd be paying for it as my complex charges a $20(!) "processing fee" for credit cards.

*Except for the 5/3rd card, which will FOREVER be a paltry $300 limit card (the only reason this card is still open is because it's the first CC I ever got, and I figure it's not hurting me by leaving it open).

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 15 of 21
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@kroberts67 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I'm at the point where I don't need anymore credit. But, I'll still apply for a few credit card signup bonuses, and I have no problem closing the cards later.

But If you don't want to play that game, you can always sit pat and find something else to occupy your time. Perhaps Hulu.com ...

In that case, I think all the answers above will reassure you that you still have a long way to go before you raise red flags. Individual lenders will impose certain liimits (like Amex's 40% rule), but given enough cards the sky is really the limit.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 16 of 21
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@SevenNEW wrote:

@kroberts67 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

In that case, I think all the answers above will reassure you that you still have a long way to go before you raise red flags. Individual lenders will impose certain liimits (like Amex's 40% rule), but given enough cards the sky is really the limit.

What is this 40% rule that you speak of? 

And as far as stopping goes....I'll stop--when I have it all.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 17 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

@BootStraps wrote:

+1

It's your journey. When you say it is enough, then it is enough.

Right, it's your journey.

By all means, read other points of view, compare and contrast different strategies, but ultimately make the choices best for you, both rationally and emotionally. 

Message 18 of 21
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I liked your humor. Honestly many of us don't need credit anymore, but sometimes signing bonuses are so great, that we would normally go for it. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 19 of 21
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@iwazl71 wrote:

I think when you no longer get a kick out of it, you should stop.  I have over 400k of credit but I still enjoy trying to assemble my collection.

I salute you! I mean $400K in total credit...Even if you may not be the one with highest total credit available in this forum (I doubt though), you would certainly in top 5 for sure. Great accomplishment. Nice job.  

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.