Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torn over travel cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Torn over travel cards.

Hello good people,

As I enjoy the thought of my CLI from Amex to a personally unprecedented $24500 and a couple in inquiries dropping off this month, I think I'm in a good spot to get  a travel card. The only problem is deciding on one. The front runners are as follows:

1. Amex SPG.

2. Marriott Signature.

3. Barclay World Elite MasterCard.

I've read more than a few people here have some, or all, of these cards, but I'm curious as to what one serves you best. I don't do a whole lot of traveling because I don't have time, but when I do, I'd like to reap the benefits of one of these cards. 

Any direction would be helpful.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Torn over travel cards.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello good people,

As I enjoy the thought of my CLI from Amex to a personally unprecedented $24500 and a couple in inquiries dropping off this month, I think I'm in a good spot to get  a travel card. The only problem is deciding on one. The front runners are as follows:

1. Amex SPG.

2. Marriott Signature.

3. Barclay World Elite MasterCard.

I've read more than a few people here have some, or all, of these cards, but I'm curious as to what one serves you best. I don't do a whole lot of traveling because I don't have time, but when I do, I'd like to reap the benefits of one of these cards. 

Any direction would be helpful.

The first two are different than the last one and you should really base them on what hotel chain appeals to you more then the other.  The Barclays card is more of a travel reimbursement card and can be used for any travel purchase.  I'd take a look at the Chase Sapphire Preferred as an alternative.  It's generally considered one of the best travel rewards card out there.

Message 2 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you aren't loyal to any specific hotel brand, Barclay's Arrival+ or the CSP would suit you better vs. one of the more specific branded cards. I think in general unless you are exclusively staying at Marriott, etc, the CSP or Arrival is gonna be a better bet (if you want to limit the number of cards you have).

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that was on my list that I neglected to add. 

I have two Chase cards: Freedom $6500 and an Amazon $500 (I'm so suprised I'm never had an increase on that one). Do you think that has any bearing on limt or approval? 

It sure is a pretty card Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

Here's my take on your three choices.

1.  SPG - Most difficult points to earn, but potentially the most valuable if redeemed correctly.  At best, redeem prudently for "cash+points" at Starwood properties; at worst, 1.25% airline miles earnngs of your choice.

2.  Marriott - Not a bad choice if you prefer staying at Marriotts exclusively.  70K sign-up bonus makes this a better initial value than SPG, but points earned and redeemed aren't as valuable as SPG points.

3.  Arrival+ - I'm assumig, you mean this one.  2.10% when redeemed for travel with 40K bonus.  Good choice if you're undecided who your preferred travel partners and would prefer not to deal with the added complexity of travel rewards fluid valuation.

Best of luck!

Message 5 of 16
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, that was on my list that I neglected to add. 

I have two Chase cards: Freedom $6500 and an Amazon $500 (I'm so suprised I'm never had an increase on that one). Do you think that has any bearing on limt or approval? 

It sure is a pretty card Smiley Wink

Given the highlight above, the CSP is almost a no-brainer.  UR from Freedom can be transferred to CSP and then transferred to partners for award redemptions.  Best redemption rate for the Freedom if you maximize category bonuses.

Last HP: 01/10/19 | Latest Scores: EQ FICO8 - 850 | TU FICO8 - 850 | EX FICO8 - 850
Amex BC | Amex HHonors | Amex HHonors Aspire | Amex Marriott Business | Amex Platinum | BoA Alaska Airlines | CF | CFU | CSR | Chase Ink+ | Citi DC | Citi AA UP | Discover IT
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow guys. Thanks so much. This definitely helps.

I knew I could count on this forum for good advice. 

Message 7 of 16
travisr0
Contributor

In my opinion definitely the Chase Marriot Premier. This card gives you 5 for every dollar on all the marriot chains underneath the marriot umbrella. Also x 2 points on all flight and restaurants. Also 1 free night every anniversary year which more than pays for the AF. Also all these points accumulate over the years to gain elite status and lifetime elite status.
Experian 756 // Equifax 764 // Transunion 759 // AAoA 5.7 years

Message 8 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

@travisr0 wrote:
In my opinion definitely the Chase Marriot Premier. 

If the OP prefers Marriott properties, the added benefit is UR integration of points within Chase.  CSP bonus, Ink bonus, Freedom bonuses and Ritz points can all eventually be conslidated for Marriott stays, which makes it much more efficient to harvest than SPG, and other hotel points.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just get all of them if your profile supports it.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.