Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Credit Limit vs Income

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Total Credit Limit vs Income

I was just curious as to what other peoples maximum exposure is vs their income.  If you don't want to give your income just a percentage perhaps.

I'm poor so my income is about 32K per year and $21K total credit limit.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

Re: Total Credit Limit vs Income

Welcome with your first post! I'm currently 200% cl to total income (just mine, not joint). I'm in the garden till early 2017, then will try to get to my goal of 250%. Keep your payment history spotless, your ut low, and your cl's will grow. Good luck!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 200% as well, with 140% or so with store cards. Still trimming fat.
Message 3 of 38
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

542% after closing a $21k+ card

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 38
TruBlu
Contributor

Lol! I remember being flabbergasted upon first joining this forum and discovering credit lines exceeding income by almost 50%. Was so naive about credit back then.
To answer your question I'm only at 80% but there are folks on this forum who've built pretty impressive credit portfolios amounting the several times their income.
Message 5 of 38
awp317
Frequent Contributor

IM at just over 50% of my annual income not including company credit. I think there comes a point where banks look and say "i dont care how much you have or make you will never need this much credit for one purchase that you couldn't write a check for or wire it". 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 6 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

542% after closing a $21k+ card

You are the king.  And its all from the last 3-3.5 yrs.  And your charts and contributions and scores.  You must be doing something right.

What is on the horizon for you?  Obviously you closed a card.  Making room for another future prospect? :-D

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at %130 right now. I finally got over the itch to app and seek CLI's for now. So, by the time Feb rolls around, I should have no problem upping that percentage quickly.

Message 8 of 38
Enjay
Established Member

I'm at almost exactly 100% by design and plan to stay here. If I open something new I'll close something I already have.

I guess I'm a minimalist by nature!
Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at about 45% of income and think it's more credit then I'll ever need.
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.