Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Rewards VISA - APR reduction

tag
someg33k
Established Contributor

Total Rewards VISA - APR reduction

FYI for anyone that has this card and does not have Tier 1 interest rate.

Really did not think this was possible with Commenity, especially with front line CSR.

I was approved for this card  a year ago at Tier 3 and only a $4000 limit   Got a few CLIs and my CR has improved so Im thinking at least try for siggy and apr reduction.

Sent a secure message asking to upgrade to Signature and reduce APR - They replied with a canned response that in short said no and offered no additional info.

Today I called in and got a very nice and knowledgeable rep on the phone (crazy for Commenity right?)  Explained to him what I was after and he said he can not upgrade my account as is directly to Signature. However he went on to explain that there is a process in place that allows upgrades to the account, 1 step every 4 months if you meet the criteria. Did not provide all the details but he said some of what you would expect. No recent negatives on report, account is active - in use the last 4 months. Account history is good.

So today I was upgraded from Tier 3 22.99%  to Tier 2 17.99%   and he said call back in 4 months and they could upgrade again to Tier 1. At which point I would get lowest APR and Signature card.

Thought I would share as this info should be helpful to some of you.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Total Rewards VISA - APR reduction

Some folks have been successful in lowering APRs for their Comenity V/MC/D cards but it's not very common - usually after the account has been open for 12+ months.  However, accounts cannot be upgraded to Visa Signature for those that are currently Platinum.  Accounts are coded from the get-go based on creditworthiness and usually stay at that level unless you close the card and reapply again (with the hope one gets approved for Signature.  APR-wise, if the account is eligible, they can lower it.

Message 2 of 14
someg33k
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Some folks have been successful in lowering APRs for their Comenity V/MC/D cards but it's not very common - usually after the account has been open for 12+ months.  However, accounts cannot be upgraded to Visa Signature for those that are currently Platinum.  Accounts are coded from the get-go based on creditworthiness and usually stay at that level unless you close the card and reapply again (with the hope one gets approved for Signature.  APR-wise, if the account is eligible, they can lower it.

Thanks for the response but I hope you are wrong Smiley Happy

The rep said it's possible to go from plat to sig, but you had to be at the best tier first. 

I dont live that far from Columbus, maybe I could visit their office and get a straight anwer Smiley Wink LOL

Message 3 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@someg33k wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

The rep said it's possible to go from plat to sig, but you had to be at the best tier first. 

I dont live that far from Columbus, maybe I could visit their office and get a straight anwer Smiley Wink LOL

Well, only way to find out once you reach that tier, APR-wise.  You can also check with their EO.

They're off E Broad St, amongst many other nationwide hubs that they operate, so pay them a visit but I doubt you could get past security to learn if your request is possible Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 14
someg33k
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@someg33k wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Well, only way to find out once you reach that tier, APR-wise.  You can also check with their EO.

They're off E Broad St, amongst many other nationwide hubs that they operate, so pay them a visit but I doubt you could get past security to learn if your request is possible Smiley Wink

LOL I'll just tell them FinStar sent me, should be good to go! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Congrats 2 ya.....

Message 6 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@someg33k wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@someg33k wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I'll stop by next week and bring them some cookies...from you!   But, definitely keep this thread posted in the future (or PM me) in the event that they can do it.  For as long as they've been running the co-branded Visa cards (those that are Platinum & Signature) and after some system upgrades back in the day, they have not been able to upgrade (or took the option away) but they can lower APR for some accounts - so halfway there!

Message 7 of 14
someg33k
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@someg33k wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@someg33k wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I'll stop by next week and bring them some cookies...from you!   But, definitely keep this thread posted in the future (or PM me) in the event that they can do it.  For as long as they've been running the co-branded Visa cards (those that are Platinum & Signature) and after some system upgrades back in the day, they have not been able to upgrade (or took the option away) but they can lower APR for some accounts - so halfway there!

mmm cookies... Smiley Wink

I will keep this one pinned and update as progress happens.

Message 8 of 14
ddemari
Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your success! I'm going to try this method once my card is atleast 6 months old.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your success!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.