Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tougest CC to get approved for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tougest CC to get approved for?

Welp, I am sitting around 690 on Creditkarma's scores, and Discover reports me at 732 FICO. I have PNC secured card, Discover it, Chase AARP, and Sallie Mae Mastercard. I am curious what card is very hard to get approved for, and a very good card. Basically, what card is well known around here for being tough to get approved for, and people are extremely excited when they do get it. I am wanting to set some goals, and work towards them. Work my FICO score up, and be able to get approved for that "prestigious" credit card I guess you could say. 

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Tougest CC to get approved for?

@Anonymous wrote:

Welp, I am sitting around 690 on Creditkarma's scores, and Discover reports me at 732 FICO. I have PNC secured card, Discover it, Chase AARP, and Sallie Mae Mastercard. I am curious what card is very hard to get approved for, and a very good card. Basically, what card is well known around here for being tough to get approved for, and people are extremely excited when they do get it. I am wanting to set some goals, and work towards them. Work my FICO score up, and be able to get approved for that "prestigious" credit card I guess you could say. 

Thanks for the help!

You're kind of asking 2 seperate questions here. You're asking for a tough card to get, and to that, I answer Simmons. Also, you're asking what is a very good card to get approved for and that answer varies greatly based on your needs. Discover It is a good card for many peoples' uses, as it Chase Freedom+Sapphire Preferred. Many that travel like travel cards (not my specialty). If you just want a card with a high balance easily, Venture (Capital One). Or maybe a card to transfer balanced, Ring (Barclays) or (Chase) Slate. 

Can you get a little bit more specific for what you want this card to do? 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I already have pretty much the best rewards cards I can get (I think so)... so I guess I was just wondering if there are "prestigious" cards to strive for, and possibly have a large credit line on for the future if I need it. Such as low APRs, no fees, and a large credit line. Maybe there is no such thing as a "tough" card to get approved for, and I am already on the right track with the cards I have. Just thought I would ask, so that I have a goal to look forward to for the future. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 27
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I already have pretty much the best rewards cards I can get (I think so)... so I guess I was just wondering if there are "prestigious" cards to strive for, and possibly have a large credit line on for the future if I need it. Such as low APRs, no fees, and a large credit line. Maybe there is no such thing as a "tough" card to get approved for, and I am already on the right track with the cards I have. Just thought I would ask, so that I have a goal to look forward to for the future. Smiley Happy

Well then what you seek is CreditCuriosity. Lets wait and see what he says.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help!

You're kind of asking 2 seperate questions here. You're asking for a tough card to get, and to that, I answer Simmons. Also, you're asking what is a very good card to get approved for and that answer varies greatly based on your needs. Discover It is a good card for many peoples' uses, as it Chase Freedom+Sapphire Preferred. Many that travel like travel cards (not my specialty). If you just want a card with a high balance easily, Venture (Capital One). Or maybe a card to transfer balanced, Ring (Barclays) or (Chase) Slate. 

Right, there are cards was stringent application processes, Simmons is one.   Others are perceived as more difficult because they require manual review with few automated approvals.   Then there are cards like the Freedom which come in a range of CLs and APRs.   So it's not so hard to get $500 and 22.9% APR, more difficult to get $25000 with 13.99%

But I would suggest you think about what sort of card will best fit your future needs, and go for that, regarldess of it's perceived hardnes.

Message 5 of 27
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

PNC is one of the toughest big banks, that I've seen. 

They don't like to see other New Accounts, they're Inquiry Sensitive, They're sensitive to Too Much Available Credit or Open Accounts, and of course all other obvious negs.  

Message 6 of 27
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Right, there are cards was stringent application processes, Simmons is one.   Others are perceived as more difficult because they require manual review with few automated approvals.   Then there are cards like the Freedom which come in a range of CLs and APRs.   So it's not so hard to get $500 and 22.9% APR, more difficult to get $25000 with 13.99%

But I would suggest you think about what sort of card will best fit your future needs, and go for that, regarldess of it's perceived hardnes.

+1 I agree 100%. Look at what cards would suit you and your spend (what rewards do you want, what do you spend your money on, etc.) and then work on getting your report and credit there to get them. There's no point in getting a "prestigious card" just for the sake of it. Get what works for you, prestigious or not. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 27
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help!

+1 I agree 100%. Look at what cards would suit you and your spend (what rewards do you want, what do you spend your money on, etc.) and then work on getting your report and credit there to get them. There's no point in getting a "prestigious card" just for the sake of it. Get what works for you, prestigious or not. 

The hardest of them all to answer your question. The American Express Black. i don't think your 721 will get near that. hehehe. plus you need big spend. if that is what your are looking for. the hardest of them all right there. but you can wait until they send you invitation. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 27
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well then what you seek is CreditCuriosity. Lets wait and see what he says.

LOL.. I will stick with what LTL stated

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, the Merrill Lynch Octave is considerably more difficult to obtain than the Amex black. I believe the requirement is $10 million in assets with ML. As far as I know, that is probably the toughest card, at least in the US, to obtain at the moment. 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.