Reply
Contributor
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎08-06-2012
0

Tough decisions on what to pay off first

I'm looking to make the biggest impact on my FICO score. 

I've been approaching my payments the wrong way from everything I've read.. I just wish I had seen this information even 2 weeks ago. 

 

Here is the situation. 

 

I have 5 cards right now. 

 

Cap1 secured - $400 limit - $98 balance (1yr 1mo - PIF every month)

Cap1 Cash Rewards - $500 limit - $200 balance (4 months - PIF every month)

Walmart STore - $800 limit - $435 balance (4 months - carrying balance)

Amazon Store - $1600 limit - $463 balance (4 months - carrying balance on 6mo/0% purchase)

Meijer Store - $300 limit - $120 balance (2 months - PIF last month, might carry small balance this month)

 

As of today, all payments are current but I have roughly $275 sitting in my checking acct that can be used to make additional payments. 

 

Both Cap1 cards post on the 14th as does Amazon. Walmart posts on the 20th

 

My initial through is that I should pay off both Cap1 cards so they report $0 balance this cycle. 

But I wonder if I should look at making sure ALL 5 accts are under 30% first and then zero out accts as I can? 

 

Or even put it all to WM to knock down the interest next cycle? 

 

I should mention, the 2 Cap1 cards have been PIF from the last statement, these are new charges. 

(I run my bills through the Cash card each month for the 1% back) - I can zero them out but there wouldn't be any interest if I let them post. 


Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,096
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: Tough decisions on what to pay off first

Getting cards below 30% will help a little.  Getting a couple cards to report 0 will help more in your case.  Remember report 0, notI don't use cards.

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,197
Registered: ‎01-24-2010
0

Re: Tough decisions on what to pay off first

Unless you have some great need to apply for somethig right away, I suggest you pay the highest interest rate cards down first. Getting to no interest should be your first goal.  Then you can get your utilization down for maximum score.    

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 12,002
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Tough decisions on what to pay off first


Wolf3 wrote:

Unless you have some great need to apply for somethig right away, I suggest you pay the highest interest rate cards down first. Getting to no interest should be your first goal.  Then you can get your utilization down for maximum score.    


This.  Your interstitial FICO scores are absolutely meaningless between applications.  Do what makes the most financial sense: pay off your highest APR, then your next highest, and so on and so forth down the line to whatever utilization number you're happy with.

 

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,096
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: Tough decisions on what to pay off first


Revelate wrote:

Wolf3 wrote:

Unless you have some great need to apply for somethig right away, I suggest you pay the highest interest rate cards down first. Getting to no interest should be your first goal.  Then you can get your utilization down for maximum score.    


This.  Your interstitial FICO scores are absolutely meaningless between applications.  Do what makes the most financial sense: pay off your highest APR, then your next highest, and so on and so forth down the line to whatever utilization number you're happy with.

 


I would have recommended highest apr first, but op said specifically how to get fico up.  So I assume he is apping soon.

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 311
Registered: ‎07-08-2012
0

Re: Tough decisions on what to pay off first

[ Edited ]

I'd pay the Walmart one. It's over 50% utilization right now, plus you said you've been carrying the balance, so you're paying interest. The others are noted as PIF each month or 0%, so you're not paying any interest there.

 

*Edit* Oops, didn't see that you're specifically trying to maximize the score rather than save money. In that case, I'd still pay Walmart down to under 50%, then totally pay off Cap One secured and Meijer.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 382
Registered: ‎06-26-2012
0

Re: Tough decisions on what to pay off first

Honestly, I'd put it towards the walmart and not look to apply on anything till you have less than 9% across the board with a couple at $0. Otherwise your just blowing money away on interest  and in the end that will get you no where.



Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 12,002
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Tough decisions on what to pay off first


Crashem wrote:

Revelate wrote:

Wolf3 wrote:

Unless you have some great need to apply for somethig right away, I suggest you pay the highest interest rate cards down first. Getting to no interest should be your first goal.  Then you can get your utilization down for maximum score.    


This.  Your interstitial FICO scores are absolutely meaningless between applications.  Do what makes the most financial sense: pay off your highest APR, then your next highest, and so on and so forth down the line to whatever utilization number you're happy with.

 


I would have recommended highest apr first, but op said specifically how to get fico up.  So I assume he is apping soon.


Yeah, I know bud; however, the convential wisdom here is FICO > all and that's likely what he's been reading in the last two weeks, so I re-emphasize the financial piece more strongly than I should.  The posts here tend to present a slightly distorted view of the world, and while it's an important one to understand, there isn't anything mandatory besides: pay your bills on time every time; almost everything else is putting lipstick on the pig.  

 

It wasn't a slam towards you at all, you know I respect ya highly dude, I just occasionally offer a contrary opinion Cat Tongue

 

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,234
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: Tough decisions on what to pay off first

[ Edited ]

SpeedingWheels wrote:

I'm looking to make the biggest impact on my FICO score. 

I've been approaching my payments the wrong way from everything I've read.. I just wish I had seen this information even 2 weeks ago. 

 

Here is the situation. 

 

I have 5 cards right now. 

 

Cap1 secured - $400 limit - $98 balance (1yr 1mo - PIF every month)

Cap1 Cash Rewards - $500 limit - $200 balance (4 months - PIF every month)

Walmart STore - $800 limit - $435 balance (4 months - carrying balance)

Amazon Store - $1600 limit - $463 balance (4 months - carrying balance on 6mo/0% purchase)

Meijer Store - $300 limit - $120 balance (2 months - PIF last month, might carry small balance this month)

 

As of today, all payments are current but I have roughly $275 sitting in my checking acct that can be used to make additional payments. 

 

Both Cap1 cards post on the 14th as does Amazon. Walmart posts on the 20th

 

My initial through is that I should pay off both Cap1 cards so they report $0 balance this cycle. 

But I wonder if I should look at making sure ALL 5 accts are under 30% first and then zero out accts as I can? 

 

Or even put it all to WM to knock down the interest next cycle? 

 

I should mention, the 2 Cap1 cards have been PIF from the last statement, these are new charges. 

(I run my bills through the Cash card each month for the 1% back) - I can zero them out but there wouldn't be any interest if I let them post. 


Since you PIF on all but 2 cards those are the ones in question and since one has 0% for 6 months... that leaves one card 

Walmart 800CL... since its over 50% UTL its the other reason to pay it off or at least down. 

 

 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 12k Sally Mae5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 10k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 4/22/2015
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.