Valued Contributor

Toy Limits

My limits are currently:

Capital one: 500 & 750

Credit One Bank: 1200

Orchard Bank: 1000

Household Bank: 500

Valero: 700

I have had these cards all for over two years, i applied for a couple new card this month and this is what i recieved

Credit Union Visa: 1000

Discover More: 1200

GE/Luxury: 1700

I understand that the Toy limits are holding me back as far as getting higher limits on new cards and plan to close at least my cards with the 500$ limits.  even then don't those credit limits still report to the bureaus?

so how does closing those help me get higher limits in the future?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Toy Limits

What's your utlization?

I have no idea what possesed Chase and Discover to start me off when great limits, but I'm not complaining.  I have no credit card debt, 6 figure household income, job 6 years, and credit score in high 600's, no collections, but a crap load of lates a year old.  Of course, my last credit card I applied for and got approved was in 2008 with Barclay's for $500 and haven't applied since and I pretty much gave up until recently.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 2 of 27
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

You don't need to close TOY cards to get higher limit but I would anyways since your probably never going to use them.

You've got some good new cards that will grow and once you have 4-5K credit limit you can app for more and most lily you'll start with 5K+ limit's.

I don't think is a good idea to close all at once.

Message 3 of 27
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Have you tried calling your current CC companies for credit line increases? Cap1 will probably deny you but you should try the others.

When you apply for new cards lenders try and match your existing credit card limits. Now that you have some good cards, (Discover, CU) you need to call them every six months and ask for an increase if they already haven't given you one. That's how you get high limit cards. If you wait for them to just give you the increase you may be waiting a long time.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 27
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

My limits are currently:

Capital one: 500 & 750

Credit One Bank: 1200

Orchard Bank: 1000

Household Bank: 500

Valero: 700

I have had these cards all for over two years, i applied for a couple new card this month and this is what i recieved

Credit Union Visa: 1000

Discover More: 1200

GE/Luxury: 1700

I understand that the Toy limits are holding me back as far as getting higher limits on new cards and plan to close at least my cards with the 500$ limits.  even then don't those credit limits still report to the bureaus?

so how does closing those help me get higher limits in the future?

Yes they still report CL after closed, but the card is closed, so they can't really give it much value, if asked you can say I closed because of the low limit, and with time they have less impact becuase current open cards effect things more than old closed  cards. Keep working on CLI's the GE card and Discover both are at least partially CLI friendly. Also keep UTL down and your score will rise, score isn't related to CL, and the higher fico you have the more likely you will get bigger CL cards. if you get your scores over 720, Citi and Amex are both known to give good CL if you have scores that deserve them. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 27
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Try getting a Chase Freedom Card if your utilization is low and you're in the high 600's.

If denied, go for a recon and aim for a $5k limit.  It's hard breaking out of toy limits.  Trust me.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 6 of 27
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

My utilization is 55%, made a 5K purchase this month that i will pay off over the next 2-3 months then my utl will be 0%  my fico is 675 with the new accounts, once i get them paid off i will app for the Freedom, since i would really like to have the CSP

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 27
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@DeadSpider wrote:

You don't need to close TOY cards to get higher limit but I would anyways since your probably never going to use them.

You've got some good new cards that will grow and once you have 4-5K credit limit you can app for more and most lily you'll start with 5K+ limit's.

why wouldn't it be a good idea to close them all at the same time once my utilization is 0?  the only one i want to keep is the Orchard since it gives me 2% bank on everything and has a 14.9% APR

Message 8 of 27
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@DeadSpider wrote:

why wouldn't it be a good idea to close them all at the same time once my utilization is 0?  the only one i want to keep is the Orchard since it gives me 2% bank on everything and has a 14.9% APR

It's easier to get credit when you have credit, and especially when you don't need credit.  You can close down the 500 CL cards if they aren't CLI friendly.  But keep the others. You never know when a card is going to AA or CLD you, then you are stuck in a bad place. And nothing sucks more than getting denied credit because of two few revolving TL's or your file is too thin. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 27
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@DeadSpider wrote:

It's easier to get credit when you have credit, and especially when you don't need credit.  You can close down the 500 CL cards if they aren't CLI friendly.  But keep the others. You never know when a card is going to AA or CLD you, then you are stuck in a bad place. And nothing sucks more than getting denied credit because of two few revolving TL's or your file is too thin. 

So having too few is worse than having too many?

I was thinking that if i applied they would see the low limts cards and think this guy already has 9 open TLs, why does he need more?

If i close three of the original ones that would leave me with 6 open TLs, is that about right?

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.