Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,292
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Toy Limits

My limits are currently:

 

Capital one: 500 & 750

Credit One Bank: 1200

Orchard Bank: 1000

Household Bank: 500

Valero: 700

 

I have had these cards all for over two years, i applied for a couple new card this month and this is what i recieved

 

Credit Union Visa: 1000

Discover More: 1200

GE/Luxury: 1700

 

I understand that the Toy limits are holding me back as far as getting higher limits on new cards and plan to close at least my cards with the 500$ limits.  even then don't those credit limits still report to the bureaus?

 

so how does closing those help me get higher limits in the future?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎04-02-2012
0

Re: Toy Limits

What's your utlization?

 

I have no idea what possesed Chase and Discover to start me off when great limits, but I'm not complaining.  I have no credit card debt, 6 figure household income, job 6 years, and credit score in high 600's, no collections, but a crap load of lates a year old.  Of course, my last credit card I applied for and got approved was in 2008 with Barclay's for $500 and haven't applied since and I pretty much gave up until recently.

 

 

My Wallet:
Discover It $20.3k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX BCE $8.2k | Costco Citi Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | AMEX Schwab $3k | Care Credit $3k | Wells Fargo $1k
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎07-29-2012
0

Re: Toy Limits

You don't need to close TOY cards to get higher limit but I would anyways since your probably never going to use them.

You've got some good new cards that will grow and once you have 4-5K credit limit you can app for more and most lily you'll start with 5K+ limit's.

 

I don't think is a good idea to close all at once.

 

Lots of cards and counting !!
Las Vegas REALTOR
FICO 800ish Shooting for 800+
BCE 20K,ED 10K,Sky 2K, DCVR $6800, Slate 8K, Freedom 5k, Care Credit 10K, Lowes 10K, Cap1 QS $11500, Venture 15K, Paypal 5k Hidden, US Bank Edge Cash Business 20K and NFL $1500 soon to DIE.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,411
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0

Re: Toy Limits

Have you tried calling your current CC companies for credit line increases? Cap1 will probably deny you but you should try the others.

 

When you apply for new cards lenders try and match your existing credit card limits. Now that you have some good cards, (Discover, CU) you need to call them every six months and ask for an increase if they already haven't given you one. That's how you get high limit cards. If you wait for them to just give you the increase you may be waiting a long time.


Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 738 8/5/16 - EX 828 8/5/16 - TU 739 8/5/16
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,360
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: Toy Limits


ryanbush wrote:

My limits are currently:

 

Capital one: 500 & 750

Credit One Bank: 1200

Orchard Bank: 1000

Household Bank: 500

Valero: 700

 

I have had these cards all for over two years, i applied for a couple new card this month and this is what i recieved

 

Credit Union Visa: 1000

Discover More: 1200

GE/Luxury: 1700

 

I understand that the Toy limits are holding me back as far as getting higher limits on new cards and plan to close at least my cards with the 500$ limits.  even then don't those credit limits still report to the bureaus?

 

so how does closing those help me get higher limits in the future?


Yes they still report CL after closed, but the card is closed, so they can't really give it much value, if asked you can say I closed because of the low limit, and with time they have less impact becuase current open cards effect things more than old closed  cards. Keep working on CLI's the GE card and Discover both are at least partially CLI friendly. Also keep UTL down and your score will rise, score isn't related to CL, and the higher fico you have the more likely you will get bigger CL cards. if you get your scores over 720, Citi and Amex are both known to give good CL if you have scores that deserve them. 

 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak/Freeom 4.6k, FNBO DISC 25.1k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 12k Sally Mae5.5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 7.5k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5.9k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 7k, Discover IT 15.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 9/5/2016
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎04-02-2012
0

Re: Toy Limits

Try getting a Chase Freedom Card if your utilization is low and you're in the high 600's.

 

If denied, go for a recon and aim for a $5k limit.  It's hard breaking out of toy limits.  Trust me.

My Wallet:
Discover It $20.3k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX BCE $8.2k | Costco Citi Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | AMEX Schwab $3k | Care Credit $3k | Wells Fargo $1k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,292
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Toy Limits

My utilization is 55%, made a 5K purchase this month that i will pay off over the next 2-3 months then my utl will be 0%  my fico is 675 with the new accounts, once i get them paid off i will app for the Freedom, since i would really like to have the CSP

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,292
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Toy Limits


DeadSpider wrote:

You don't need to close TOY cards to get higher limit but I would anyways since your probably never going to use them.

You've got some good new cards that will grow and once you have 4-5K credit limit you can app for more and most lily you'll start with 5K+ limit's.

 

I don't think is a good idea to close all at once.

 


why wouldn't it be a good idea to close them all at the same time once my utilization is 0?  the only one i want to keep is the Orchard since it gives me 2% bank on everything and has a 14.9% APR

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,360
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: Toy Limits


ryanbush wrote:

DeadSpider wrote:

You don't need to close TOY cards to get higher limit but I would anyways since your probably never going to use them.

You've got some good new cards that will grow and once you have 4-5K credit limit you can app for more and most lily you'll start with 5K+ limit's.

 

I don't think is a good idea to close all at once.

 


why wouldn't it be a good idea to close them all at the same time once my utilization is 0?  the only one i want to keep is the Orchard since it gives me 2% bank on everything and has a 14.9% APR


It's easier to get credit when you have credit, and especially when you don't need credit.  You can close down the 500 CL cards if they aren't CLI friendly.  But keep the others. You never know when a card is going to AA or CLD you, then you are stuck in a bad place. And nothing sucks more than getting denied credit because of two few revolving TL's or your file is too thin. 

 

 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak/Freeom 4.6k, FNBO DISC 25.1k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 12k Sally Mae5.5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 7.5k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5.9k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 7k, Discover IT 15.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 9/5/2016
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,292
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Toy Limits


jamesdwi wrote:

ryanbush wrote:

DeadSpider wrote:

You don't need to close TOY cards to get higher limit but I would anyways since your probably never going to use them.

You've got some good new cards that will grow and once you have 4-5K credit limit you can app for more and most lily you'll start with 5K+ limit's.

 

I don't think is a good idea to close all at once.

 


why wouldn't it be a good idea to close them all at the same time once my utilization is 0?  the only one i want to keep is the Orchard since it gives me 2% bank on everything and has a 14.9% APR


It's easier to get credit when you have credit, and especially when you don't need credit.  You can close down the 500 CL cards if they aren't CLI friendly.  But keep the others. You never know when a card is going to AA or CLD you, then you are stuck in a bad place. And nothing sucks more than getting denied credit because of two few revolving TL's or your file is too thin. 

 

 


So having too few is worse than having too many?

 

I was thinking that if i applied they would see the low limts cards and think this guy already has 9 open TLs, why does he need more?

 

If i close three of the original ones that would leave me with 6 open TLs, is that about right?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.