cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy cards: Keep or close? Please advise!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Toy cards: Keep or close? Please advise!

@Crashem wrote:
Walmart, bofa (could graduate). I would be getting rid of any else with annual fee. Remember close cards will help your aaoa for 10 years. Main reason you don't really need to worry is that Amex backdating will continue to help. Get another Amex if aaoa goes down

Only if those closed cards have longer history than your current ones, and 1-1.5 year tradelines may not 5 years out.  Having the 15 year backdate though is a nice offset though I'll admit.

That said, I'd close some of them, and aggieguy's plan is what I'd do personally... there's no need for that many tradelines from a FICO perspective, and I'd close those cards a month ahead of the expected date they'll charge the AF on.

        
Message 11 of 20
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Close anything with an AF outside of the AMEX.  Walmart doesn't have an AF, does it?  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 12 of 20
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@namvet wrote:

@aggieguy wrote:

My vote:

Keep: Amex, Bank of America Secured, CapitalOne $750, Walmart

Axe: Orchard, CapitalOne Secured, First National CC, Fingerhut

I'm in a similar situation. I have a bunch of toy cards that are getting axed in favor of Amex Zync and Discover. If I were you I'd cut those cards listed, work on cleaning up the collection, garden for 6 months to a year to give these other cards some age, then set my sights on another better card to replace the CapitalOne.

+1

I like this plan, too.

Me three!

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  I'll be cancelling the orchard, c1 secured, first national and fingerhut tomorrow!

Still waiting to recon with chase executive offices tomorrow for my slate denial.  whether or not it happens, its off to the garden for me!

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

advice taken!  Cancelled C1 secured, first national CC, fingerhut and orchard bank today.  also called chase executive offices for recon, and the nice lady took all my info and said she would call me tomorrow.  keeping fingers crossed!  will keep everyone updated!

Message 15 of 20
aggieguy
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

advice taken!  Cancelled C1 secured, first national CC, fingerhut and orchard bank today.  also called chase executive offices for recon, and the nice lady took all my info and said she would call me tomorrow.  keeping fingers crossed!  will keep everyone updated!

Well done! How does it feel?

My Wallet: Discover $1500, CapitalOne Green $1500, Amex Zync NPSL, CU of TX $3000, Amazon Store $1000, Barclay Apple $1300

Chopping block: CreditOne $600, BestBuy $600, CapitalOne $500, CapitalOne $500
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

closing those 4 accounts was too easy.  they didn't try to stop me.  hmmmm, what do you think this will do to my fico?

Message 17 of 20
aggieguy
New Contributor

If I understand it correctly the only way this will have a drastic impact on your FICO score is if you are currently carrying a balance on any of your cards. Closing these cards will remove their credit limits from your available credit, which could tank your score if you're revolving a balance by jacking your utilization percentage up. Otherwise your closed cards should report for another 10 years (I think it's 10 years from date of closure, but I could be wrong) and your score will be fine.

I am approaching this stage in my credit journey by realizing that I don't care if my fico score takes a temporary hit by closing cards, I only care that it is up when I am ready to apply for the cards I want AND that I'm not dinged in a manual review for having cards like First Premier or CreditOne or what have you open. As usual YMMV and this is all just my opinion.

My Wallet: Discover $1500, CapitalOne Green $1500, Amex Zync NPSL, CU of TX $3000, Amazon Store $1000, Barclay Apple $1300

Message 18 of 20
aggieguy
New Contributor

And I had the same experience with ease of closing Orchard. I called them asked for a CLI, they said my account did not have any CLIs coming right now. I then asked to waive the annual fee, they said they couldn't do that. I said, in that case close the account. The CSR asked me why I wanted to close the account and I said, "I have much better cards now that don't have such high annual fees and much higher CLs." He said, "Okay," and then closed the account. They are well trained in customer retention, LOL.

Message 19 of 20
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@namvet wrote:

@aggieguy wrote:

My vote:

Keep: Amex, Bank of America Secured, CapitalOne $750, Walmart

Axe: Orchard, CapitalOne Secured, First National CC, Fingerhut

I'm in a similar situation. I have a bunch of toy cards that are getting axed in favor of Amex Zync and Discover. If I were you I'd cut those cards listed, work on cleaning up the collection, garden for 6 months to a year to give these other cards some age, then set my sights on another better card to replace the CapitalOne.

+1

I like this plan, too.

+1

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.