cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking spending categories with PenFed?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Tracking spending categories with PenFed?

I am likely just not seeing it, but...

Does PenFed have a way to see how your spending is being categorized in order to see which purchases are tagged as groceries, which as gas, etc?

I never know for sure if certain establishments actually fall into the right category. I know for gas it says "gas at the pump," so we try to do that instead of paying inside. Does it truly matter? Anyone know?

Anyone had any experience at tracking their spending at PenFed?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Tracking spending categories with PenFed?

Nope. You have to do it manually. I have verified and have never been gyped.

When "gas staions" are on 5% at Discover there seems to be a pretty broad interpretation. I used a local mechanic who works out if a Shell station for a $400 car repair, paid for it with Discover and got 5% reward. I doubt that would work with Visa - their POS coding could be a little tighter. It might be interesting to try it sometime.

Message 2 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Thanks...

I've gotten spoiled by being able to click into Discover and see if we've maxed out our 5% categories.

The question came up this morning as my husband went to HyVee to get a prescription and asked if he should use PenFed. I think the charge comes back simply as HyVee, and I think we'll get the 2% for groceries on those prescriptions. That started the conversation of "Hey...how do we know?"

It's good to know that you've tracked it and it seems OK.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another Penfed deficiency. Maybe not a mark of sub-prime but definitely sub-standard.
Message 4 of 6
maestro
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Another Penfed deficiency. Maybe not a mark of sub-prime but definitely sub-standard.

We get it, you feel you have been unfairly treated by Penfed somehow.

Take it up with Penfed, rather than trying to continually convince other members how bad Penfed is. 

Your comments add no value to the discussion.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maestro wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We get it, you feel you have been unfairly treated by Penfed somehow.

Take it up with Penfed, rather than trying to continually convince other members how bad Penfed is. 

Your comments add no value to the discussion.

So if someone who happens to be in the majority feels they have been treated fairly by PenFed and they add a comment that PenFed is great, that somehow "adds value to the discussion" but an opposing comment from someone in the minority does not?  Sounds like mob rule to me.  I'd prefer moderators to make that decision -- that's their job.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.