Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction coding: Gas or Grocery?

tag
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Transaction coding: Gas or Grocery?

I always think about this~ How about the gas pump of a grocery store and the grocery store of a gas station?

e.g. The gas pumps at 7-11, Tom Thumb (aka Safeway), Sam's Club. Do the count as gas? Also, the stores at Shell, Exxon, QuikTrip. Do they count as grocery?

Figuring this out may help me maxmize my cash rewards Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Transaction coding: Gas or Grocery?

@vwgrrc wrote:

I always think about this~ How about the gas pump of a grocery store and the grocery store of a gas station?

e.g. The gas pumps at 7-11, Tom Thumb (aka Safeway), Sam's Club. Do the count as gas? Also, the stores at Shell, Exxon, QuikTrip. Do they count as grocery?

Figuring this out may help me maxmize my cash rewards Smiley Wink

all stores of gas stations have always been rewarded as gas purchases on the cards that I have.

Message 2 of 6
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

Visa and MC use MCCs to determine merchant categories. The Gas MCCs are 5541 Service Stations and 5542 Automated Fuel Dispensers. The trick is figuring out if the gas purchases are classified as one of the above (look at transaction data, itemized reward earnings, email CSR, etc.).

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 3 of 6
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I wondered the same because if it's full reporting as qualifying gas purchase when i sometimes prepay in -store in combo with in store purchases together.
Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@vwgrrc wrote:

Depends on coding and any other criteria set for the by the creditor.  Verify with each.

Message 5 of 6
Stralem
Established Contributor

Depends on the store.

All purchases from the 7-Eleven by my house are coded as a gasoline purchases even though it doesn't sell gas.

Fuel purchases at the local Meijers are coded as grocery purchases.

It's a truly w@cKKy w0RLd we live in.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.