Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction on my Venture declined

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

Transaction on my Venture declined

So I go to the store to make some purchases with my newly 1 week old aquired Venture card. Swipped, then declined. I only had the card for a week and this is my very first time using it. I have 2 other cap one cards with them and I never had that issue, but I knew it was because the account was so new and plus I was trying to put quite a bit on there. That spooked them so the card was declined. I used my QS Visa instead.

I came home and checked my account and sure enough it said that my Venture account has been restricted and that I must call the 800 number they provided. I called and a very nice woman answered. She said they need to verify some security measures (they actually had to call me back to make sure the number I called them from was legit), and afterwards they reinstated my account. All good now. But I missed out on my mile points. I had planned on using the card today to get those miles but oh well now. 

Although it was a bit of an inconvience, I actually love this fraud protection. I am just curious as to how they determine when to decline a charge. Even though my account was new (which is what the rep told me as to why the account was restricted), I have made large purchases in the past (not often) with brand new accounts and never had this happen. I know DCU has called me AFTER I made a purchase to see if I was the one that actually authorized it but I never got declined WHILE making a purchase until now. I know it varies from one person to another. I guess if you have other accounts with them, they compare your spending habits.I might be one of the few that actually likes when a CCC sees something suspecious they take immediate action by decling transaction. 

Make More, Spend Less
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Transaction on my Venture declined

@black_citi wrote:

So I go to the store to make some purchases with my newly 1 week old aquired Venture card. Swipped, then declined. I only had the card for a week and this is my very first time using it. I have 2 other cap one cards with them and I never had that issue, but I knew it was because the account was so new and plus I was trying to put quite a bit on there. That spooked them so the card was declined. I used my QS Visa instead.

I came home and checked my account and sure enough it said that my Venture account has been restricted and that I must call the 800 number they provided. I called and a very nice woman answered. She said they need to verify some security measures (they actually had to call me back to make sure the number I called them from was legit), and afterwards they reinstated my account. All good now. But I missed out on my mile points. I had planned on using the card today to get those miles but oh well now. 

Although it was a bit of an inconvience, I actually love this fraud protection. I am just curious as to how they determine when to decline a charge. Even though my account was new (which is what the rep told me as to why the account was restricted), I have made large purchases in the past (not often) with brand new accounts and never had this happen. I know DCU has called me AFTER I made a purchase to see if I was the one that actually authorized it but I never got declined WHILE making a purchase until now. I know it varies from one person to another. I guess if you have other accounts with them, they compare your spending habits.I might be one of the few that actually likes when a CCC sees something suspecious they take immediate action by decling transaction. 

Good your card was reinstated. But they are not protecting you. They are protecting themselves. There is nothing for them to see. no way for them to know if suspicious unless your card was present. Only because of your first use. This is very common. After you will not have that issue again. Congrarts on your card. even if you tried $3 they would have done that. not based on the amount you were spending. unless you were at atm taking cash out. Smiley Happy which i doubt. Cap one is very good and not over paranoid like others. Caugh caugh. Barclays.

Message 2 of 33
bengalikejenga
Regular Contributor

Well its a good thing Cap1 took care of the issue pretty quick.... for all the bashing that cap1 takes on this forum, i think they are a pretty good CCC. 

they were the first ones to give me credit while rebuilding, and my first above 10K card. soo im happy with them.

Ex681 Tu694 EQ708
Message 3 of 33
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@bengalikejenga wrote:

Well its a good thing Cap1 took care of the issue pretty quick.... for all the bashing that cap1 takes on this forum, i think they are a pretty good CCC. 

they were the first ones to give me credit while rebuilding, and my first above 10K card. soo im happy with them.

Capital one is fine... Just hate that they take 3 HP's. I don't like what they offer though really. Just closed my QS card.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I believe it's likely the only reason they did the 'verification' was because it was the first time you ever used the account. 

Ironically, my Capital One cards are what I pull out if there is ever an issue with a more 'sensitive' card, since in my experience my Capital One cards 'just work'. 

As a data point, when I wanted to make an online purchase from a Canadian company back in the Spring, I did an online chat and the CSR honestly seemed confused as to why I was contacting them.  The purchase went through without a hitch, and since then I've used both my Capital One cards multiple times to make online purchases from an Australian company (without notifying them) and there's never been a problem.

I doubt you'll have a problem with your Venture again.

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I didn't know Capital One did that. I had that problem with American Express when I tried to buy a MacBook with a relatively new card. Luckily, they called while I was still in the store and got me approved. Generally not a big deal and I'm glad to pay the price of a minor inconvenience for the sake of fraud protection.
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

It happened the first time I went use my QS1. Called them, verified what they needed verified and since then, no problems. Probably $10k through it since then with no problems.
Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I am going to make a large purchase on a new card, I always call first to give them a "heads up."  Never had a problem because of that. Also, I try to always use it for a small purchase first if I can. 

Message 8 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Theyre not a bad company. Although my QS is basically SD now as the 0 percent is over and the APR is 22 percent and I do not feel like hassling with EO to fix it when I have a double cash with a reasonable limit anyway now.

But capital one has never done me any wrong except the bad APR lol
Message 9 of 33
black_citi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know Capital One did that. I had that problem with American Express when I tried to buy a MacBook with a relatively new card. Luckily, they called while I was still in the store and got me approved. Generally not a big deal and I'm glad to pay the price of a minor inconvenience for the sake of fraud protection.

Yeah AMEX from what i've heard is usually known for not authorizing large purchases unless you verify first. If I'm not mistaken, don't they have something online that if you want to make a larger purchase you must enter that info on a form of some sort to see if they will authorize it first? I haven't had that happen to me personally though.

Make More, Spend Less
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.