Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction on my Venture declined

tag
delaney1
Established Contributor

Re: Transaction on my Venture declined

I'm thinking about apping for the Venture at the end of the year, so this is good info since I didn't have such problems with the QS. I plan to use it for several large online purchases to get the bonus miles then SD it. At least if it's declined, I won't be standing at a register, that sucks.

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:

I'm thinking about apping for the Venture at the end of the year, so this is good info since I didn't have such problems with the QS. I plan to use it for several large online purchases to get the bonus miles then SD it. At least if it's declined, I won't be standing at a register, that sucks.

That would probably be my plan from now on. I haven't had this problem with any cards, but I am not a big spender either. Most of my spend comes from online bill pay and occasional online shopping, groceries, or gas. Rarely do I ever make a large purchase in store. I would die of embarrassment.

Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@black_citi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know Capital One did that. I had that problem with American Express when I tried to buy a MacBook with a relatively new card. Luckily, they called while I was still in the store and got me approved. Generally not a big deal and I'm glad to pay the price of a minor inconvenience for the sake of fraud protection.

Yeah AMEX from what i've heard is usually known for not authorizing large purchases unless you verify first. If I'm not mistaken, don't they have something online that if you want to make a larger purchase you must enter that info on a form of some sort to see if they will authorize it first? I haven't had that happen to me personally though.

First purchase i made on my Amex BCP was a laptop online from Sears. The purchase went through fraud verification, they called and I answered some questions. But I don't know if it was because of Amex or because of Sears.

Message 23 of 33
black_citi
Established Contributor

The first purchase I made on my BCE was a $100 medical bill. It went through without a hitch. This was last year in Oct. Don't know what would have happened if it was more.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 24 of 33
grneydangl
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know Capital One did that. I had that problem with American Express when I tried to buy a MacBook with a relatively new card. Luckily, they called while I was still in the store and got me approved. Generally not a big deal and I'm glad to pay the price of a minor inconvenience for the sake of fraud protection.

This didn't happen with my Venture One... I wonder why.

Message 25 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@grneydangl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know Capital One did that. I had that problem with American Express when I tried to buy aMacBook with a relatively new card. Luckily, they called while I was still in the store and got me approved. Generally not a big deal and I'm glad to pay the price of a minor inconvenience for the sake of fraud protection.

This didn't happen with my Venture One... I wonder why.

This is pure speculation, but I suspect once the first payment is made they 'ease up' on the security a bit, since by then they know for sure you actually have physical possession of the new card. 

It seems that way with me, anyway.  Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 33
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Maybe it was declined due to it being a larger purchase on a brand new card? Personally I build up to larger purchases on new cards. I start with small charges for food, then maybe some bills, and then larger purchases. (i.e. $500+)

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 27 of 33
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@delaney1 wrote:

That would probably be my plan from now on. I haven't had this problem with any cards, but I am not a big spender either. Most of my spend comes from online bill pay and occasional online shopping, groceries, or gas. Rarely do I ever make a large purchase in store. I would die of embarrassment.

Aww, it's okay! As a former cashier, I saw cards decline all the time, it's no big deal. Just call your bank and get them to allow the charge! Smiley Happy

I usually don't make big purchases (over $100 at once) but I recently did two bigger purchases; $550 for new contacts on Sallie Mae and $400+ for a PS4 on Freedom. Both went through without a hitch. PS4 was in store (and a store I don't usually use Freedom) and the contacts were bought over the phone (card not present transaction). Not a peep from either Chase or Barclays. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 28 of 33
zerbherb
Established Contributor

discovers kind of annoying about it to, i got notifications from the same resturant two days in a row. Even though they already know i'm in israel. Obviously you should know im in israel since i did the travel notificaton thing.

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my Venture about two weeks ago. Hadn't used it once, but decided to pay my $3200.00 rent payment online using RadPad so I could get the 3K spend requirement out of the way and get the 40K miles. I called Cap One and explained what I planned to do and the customer service rep was EXCELLENT. She just asked me a few questions, than looked up the RadPad website, made a note in the computer, and thanked me. The next day the payment went thru without a hitch. I must say, Cap One's customer service was great. I love that you talk with someone here in America and not someone from India, Pakistan, etc.... No offense, but when I call Amex, I can barely understand the reps and they all sound like they're reading off a script. I actually told the Cap One rep how much it meant to me. So far, Cap One's right at the too of my list for best CC.
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.