Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Amex MRs to Avios or Delta?

tag
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

Transfer Amex MRs to Avios or Delta?

I have 50k points, and debating between avios/delta. Planning a trip next summer to either Europe or Thailand. Which program in your point of view offers best value? thank you
BofA 5k, Cap 1 Journey 300, Cap 1 QS1 300, Walmart 6k,
Amex BCE 2000, Amex PRG, Amex Delta Gold 2k, Macy's 5k, Bloomies 6k, Amazon 6k, JCP 5k Macy's Amex 1.5k,
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transfer Amex MRs to Avios or Delta?

@orestrus wrote:
I have 50k points, and debating between avios/delta. Planning a trip next summer to either Europe or Thailand. Which program in your point of view offers best value? thank you

From what I've read, Deltas mileage program isn't that great.  Also I think you would have more options with BA to fly to those destinations.  You really need to look into which airline flies to your desired location and see if BA or Delta (or their partners) fly there.

Message 2 of 6
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@orestrus wrote:

Definitely not Delta.  

Message 3 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

@orestrus wrote:

Definitely not Delta.  

I'm not sure one can say definitely not Delta. For international flights, there's a fair number of decent Delta redemptions through partners, competitive with other airlines on certain routes, so it's important to shop the available options to see what the possibilities are. That means checking out ahead on certain routes with each possible FF program. I won't try to argue that Delta is best, just that the different routes and different partner arrangements make this comparison difficult.

OP, for Asia flights, have you considered Singapore KrisFlyer?

My short experience trying to look up British Airways flights leads me to believe these BA flights are nearly indecipherable.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Avios for sure if your destination(s) isn't too far away. I just booked round trip FC halfway across the country for 18,000 Avios and $5, 5 days out. The same ticket would have cost me 25K AA Miles.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you probably don't want to transfer right away, but if you make plans and you're going to use British Airways, know that after October 1st, 250 MR points will be worth only 200 Avios.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.