cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer balance question need advice

tag
carib

Transfer balance question need advice

Ok need a little help, i just recieved an offer a 0% balance transfer offer from my citi card.

i want to take advantage of it, but my concern is i have been out of work for a yr, but im starting a new job in jan. My balance right now is with citi is 6000 with a lmit of 16,000

i want to tranfers my highest balance my best buy card which is 1800 and some of my orchard card(hate this card) which is 500.

my concern is im afraid of getting my citi card to high, since i use this card for things like fixing my car. my question should i put the whole balance or 80% of both?

thanks for any help

trans 765, eq 745

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Transfer balance question need advice

What is the current interest rate for your citi card?  How long is the 0% interest (the life of the transfer)?  What are the interest rates on your other cards?  What is the fee for doing a balance transfer?  Usually its about 3% or more of the transferred amount.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if it saves money I say do it!

Message 3 of 10
carib

I have the platnuim select 0% up to yr, 7% after, the 0% transfer is good up to 12/11 , the best buy is 24%, the orc is 11% and your right the fee is 3%

i guess my fear is getting my limit too high on the citi card

Message 4 of 10
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Even with the fee, I think it would be worth it as you will be saving money in the long run.  Just make sure that you allocate the payments you were paying to those other cards now to your citi card.  That way you can get that 6k paid off as quickly as you can so that you are paying even less interest.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

wait, did I read this wrong... you owe 6k on your 16 cl with city right now at 7% but they are offering you 0 for 1 year and you want to transfer about 2500 to them?

or did you get an offer for a 2nd citi card?

Message 6 of 10
carib

wait, did I read this wrong... you owe 6k on your 16 cl with city right now at 7% but they are offering you 0 for 1 year and you want to transfer about 2500 to them?

yah that is correct

Message 7 of 10
carib

yah thats what im thinking, sometimes you just need to hear some else to say it too  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

in that case it would be worth paying the best buy off but not the household, you just need to pay that off in 1-2 months using the payment you use to send to best buy plus your normal payment to household... then once that is paid off, take that whole payment and apply it to your citi payment, anything over min will be applied to the 6k balance at 7%

Message 9 of 10
carib

I really like that plan, I was really thinking about doing something lke this .  thanks

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.