Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferred limit from less than year old AmEx

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transferred limit from less than year old AmEx

Yay! I was going to make a thread asking about this...but figured I'd try it for myself. I am not going to need my Delta card much longer, so my eventual plan was to move the limit from Delta to my Hilton card.

Here's some stats...

Delta, opened May 2016: limit was $3k

Hilton, opened October 2016: limit was $2k

The standard advice is that your donor card must be 13 months old, which is why I was going to pay the annual fee on the Delta card in May, and then cancel it before the next annual fee came around. So now I can just cancel it before May! Happy about that. Step 1 towards getting rid of it.

This totally seems to be a YMMV thing in regards to the 13 month rule. Just figured I'd post my data point. Delta was my first AmEx, but I mainly got it in order to get in with AmEx and also for the sign up bonus. Love the free checked bag and some other benefits, but the mile earning structure is crap...so I hardly use the card these days.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Transferred limit from less than year old AmEx

Good news for those with 6 AMEX cards Smiley Happy

The bigger question is have you hit your 3X CLI on them?  With your CL moved over your 3X amount is now bigger Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

Good news for those with 6 AMEX cards Smiley Happy

The bigger question is have you hit your 3X CLI on them?  With your CL moved over your 3X amount is now bigger Smiley Happy

I was denied for the 3x CLI back in December. So I can try again next month. My Delta card was initially approved at 1k and went to 3k on the 61 day mark. But you're right...when I try again now I could potentially get a much bigger limit!

Message 3 of 16
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yay! I was going to make a thread asking about this...but figured I'd try it for myself. I am not going to need my Delta card much longer, so my eventual plan was to move the limit from Delta to my Hilton card.

Here's some stats...

The standard advice is that your donor card must be 13 months old, which is why I was going to pay the annual fee on the Delta card in May, and then cancel it before the next annual fee came around. So now I can just cancel it before May! Happy about that. Step 1 towards getting rid of it.

This totally seems to be a YMMV thing in regards to the 13 month rule. Just figured I'd post my data point. Delta was my first AmEx, but I mainly got it in order to get in with AmEx and also for the sign up bonus. Love the free checked bag and some other benefits, but the mile earning structure is crap...so I hardly use the card these days.

Are you saying you were able to combine/move limits before 13 months? The post doesn't say what you did. 

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's some stats...

Are you saying you were able to combine/move limits before 13 months? The post doesn't say what you did. 

Yes, that's what I did. Delta card had only been open since May.

Message 5 of 16
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Hmm... so 1 moved and the other didn't... did you wait 6 months from the other one getting a CLI?   Check with them on chat to see when you're eligible again to hit the button.  This is that whole 1 CLI every 6 months per person not account situation if that's the case.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

Hmm... so 1 moved and the other didn't... did you wait 6 months from the other one getting a CLI?   Check with them on chat to see when you're eligible again to hit the button.  This is that whole 1 CLI every 6 months per person not account situation if that's the case.

No I never tried it on the Hilton card. I did my 3xCLI on the Delta at the 61 days and got it, waited 6 months, tried again on the Delta and was denied. So I'm on the 90 day clock right now.

Message 7 of 16
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Just wanted to throw it out there just in case Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 16
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's some stats...

You Yo

You can transfer the limits online as early as 3 months, speaking from personal experience!

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 9 of 16
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's some stats...

You Yo

You can transfer the limits online as early as 3 months, speaking from personal experience!

Will allocating the credit line to a newly opened card effect your opportunity for a 3XCLI on the new card?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.