Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

Transferring Balances to Lower-Interest Cards

According to myFICO, I need to transfer my high-interest credit cards to a lower-interest card.  My concern is opening yet another card.  6 months ago, I opened a new card in order to transfer my largest balance, and only a portion of the balance ended up being transferred and after the 6 months, the 0% APR went up to 25% (variable rate) and they will not lower it, and so now I have another card.  I really want to pay off my cards, but with 25% rates, it makes it difficult to pay more than just interest.  Is it possible to transfer all the high-interest cards to one card?  If so, how?  And then how do you make sure that interest rate stays at a low rate?  And, do I cancel the other cards or leave them open once the balances are transferred?  Please help!  Thanks Smiley Happy
Established Contributor

Re: Transferring Balances to Lower-Interest Cards

Most cards will allow multiple BTs and NEW ACCTs typically have the BEST BT Rates. All that is necessary is that the available credit is there and BT away!

This may not have the nest impact on FICO short term (High UTI on One Card, New Acct, And INQ) BUT if your goal is to pay down rapidly with less or no interest - go for it.

Rob
Senior Contributor

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if someone is willing to offer advice on OP'ers position, maybe they won't mind looking at my similar situation.

HSBC $900 cap, $100 yearly fee, Balance=$556.51, 30 days late about a year ago, 34% IR.
Sears $1440 cap, Balance=$1206.21, 60 days late about a year ago, 34% IR .
Closed auto loan, $12000 cap, closed 2005, 30 days late about three years ago.
$140,000 2005 mortgage, Balance=135,000, never late.

Divorce one year ago led to lates. Current EQ score of 630.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.