Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring MR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transferring MR?

So you can get giftcards at a 1:1 ratio? All of therm?

Message 11 of 14
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@MstrPTato wrote:

So you can get giftcards at a 1:1 ratio? All of therm?

All of them aren't 1:1. Some more elevated stores were worse of a ratio but Nike was 1:1 and I did the egift and it was instantaneous. Was a great experience. (Would I use a MR card just to earn MR? No. LOL)

Message 12 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah, I see. Cause I thought that you would have separate "reward accounts" per card. Didn't know that all points would be earned under one account, regardless of which card used.

I was just wondering what the circumstances would be if I decide to open a charge card to get my foot in the door with AmEx, and then open ED, and eventually close the charge card. But I guess there's nothing to worry about! Thanks for the replies!

That's the ideal situation! Smiley Happy I so enjoyed spending some of my MR yesterday for some things from Nike. (I'm not a traveler, so it didn't make sense to transfer them to a program... I know I know everyone please spare me the talk about that! lol) Was fun paying 10 bucks for 200 worth of stuff.

I am in the same boat...my 10,000 points are rolling in in a couple weeks. I don't care about the travel partners.  Seems like quite the game to play and it hurts my head. I like the card and figure I will use the points eventually...maybe something small on Amazon..maybe the cash back...who knows. Maybe I can go for a million points and cash out when I retire in 35-40 years.

aren't gift cards the best deal for MR points if you aren't trasnferring to partners obviously. I am not even sure i have never looked at anything but travel. 

For me the gift cards made the most sense.. Nike was 1 cent per point. The Amex GCs weren't a good deal and also to use points for charges was a bad deal, as well.

Thats interesting as soon as i get my MR card its for saving up points for business class trip on cathay lol. My friend may be getting married soon , so i may need to find an way to get back to thailand lol. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah, I see. Cause I thought that you would have separate "reward accounts" per card. Didn't know that all points would be earned under one account, regardless of which card used.

I was just wondering what the circumstances would be if I decide to open a charge card to get my foot in the door with AmEx, and then open ED, and eventually close the charge card. But I guess there's nothing to worry about! Thanks for the replies!

That's the ideal situation! Smiley Happy I so enjoyed spending some of my MR yesterday for some things from Nike. (I'm not a traveler, so it didn't make sense to transfer them to a program... I know I know everyone please spare me the talk about that! lol) Was fun paying 10 bucks for 200 worth of stuff.

I am in the same boat...my 10,000 points are rolling in in a couple weeks. I don't care about the travel partners.  Seems like quite the game to play and it hurts my head. I like the card and figure I will use the points eventually...maybe something small on Amazon..maybe the cash back...who knows. Maybe I can go for a million points and cash out when I retire in 35-40 years.

aren't gift cards the best deal for MR points if you aren't trasnferring to partners obviously. I am not even sure i have never looked at anything but travel. 

For me the gift cards made the most sense.. Nike was 1 cent per point. The Amex GCs weren't a good deal and also to use points for charges was a bad deal, as well.

Thats interesting as soon as i get my MR card its for saving up points for business class trip on cathay lol. My friend may be getting married soon , so i may need to find an way to get back to thailand lol. 

Right.  So even though Kenny didn't want the lecture....!   The issue sort of isn't that redeeming for non-travel isn't the best use of points, more that IF that is what you are going to do, there are better cards out there (unless you really need the charge card feature).  So something like Citi Double Cash will give 2% everywhere at no AF.

And for gift card redemptins for any reward program, always consider alternatives, such as giftcardgranny, e.g. Petco 20% off, Starbucks 15% off, CVS 12% off and Nike 8.3%  (These are the prices from brokers, ebay autions have much bigger discounts but IMO....).   And you buy these with your reward credit card, getting an extra whatever they give you.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.