cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfers Between Card Accounts at the Same Bank. Downside?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transfers Between Card Accounts at the Same Bank. Downside?

Is there a downside to transferring credit lines (corrected here. I said balances before) between accounts? The upside seems obvious with an increased credit line. Has anyone ever left a small credit line and not closed the card? 

I just did that this morning. I didn't close the one account because I couldn't do that online and wasn't sure I wanted to do anyway, thinking I might ask for a cli in a few months and keep the card. 

I left a credit line balance of 200.00, which was the smallest amount I could leave. Ouch.Smiley Frustrated Should I call and close that card or wait a few months an ask for a credit increase?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. Am I just having "transfer remorse?" lol (Because I now have such a small credit line.)

This was Bank of America, if that helps. I increased my Rewards to 16,800k, which I wanted to do. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Transfers Between Card Accounts at the Same Bank. Downside?

I'd say try for a CLI after like six months, and if they won't budge, then close it.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
I'd say try for a CLI after like six months, and if they won't budge, then close it.

Thanks. Sounds like an idea that should work.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi musiclover, sounds similar to my situation with Barclay and moving credit lines when I opened the Ring card. I'd recommend sitting down and listing pros/ cons of each decision, because it is individual to your situation and may be different from what would work for another person.

I did initially move part of two credit lines to the Ring, then just decided there was no benefit to leaving a tiny credit line on any card, moved it all, and closed down the prior cards. I could not see any positive to leaving a small CL that did not add anything to my profile.

It sounds as if a $200 CL won't be very usable, so I'd just close it, but you have to do what seems right to you. As you know you really won't lose much on your credit profile in terms of history.

Good luck!  Let me know if I can help further Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi musiclover, sounds similar to my situation with Barclay and moving credit lines when I opened the Ring card. I'd recommend sitting down and listing pros/ cons of each decision, because it is individual to your situation and may be different from what would work for another person.

I did initially move part of two credit lines to the Ring, then just decided there was no benefit to leaving a tiny credit line on any card, moved it all, and closed down the prior cards. I could not see any positive to leaving a small CL that did not add anything to my profile.

It sounds as if a $200 CL won't be very usable, so I'd just close it, but you have to do what seems right to you. As you know you really won't lose much on your credit profile in terms of history.

Good luck!  Let me know if I can help further Smiley Happy

Thanks, humu. Definitely food for thought...I wonder if the 200.00 CL will do anything to my credit score. 

Message 5 of 12
baller4life
Super Contributor

I'm with humu. I'd close it. Especially if you have no use for the card. It will remain on your reports 10 years. So your AAOA won't be affected if you close it. I just really don't see the benefit of leaving it open especially if you are not going to use the card.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
I'm with humu. I'd close it. Especially if you have no use for the card. It will remain on your reports 10 years. So your AAOA won't be affected if you close it. I just really don't see the benefit of leaving it open especially if you are not going to use the card.

Thanks, baller.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed. Plus, you'd have to put a fair amount of spend on the $200 limit card for it to qualify for a CLI, and do you really want to be spending your time and efforts in doing that on a small limit card? I think it's best to streamline.

I know I will enjoy having fewer cards to have to place spend on as I continue to streamline over the next year! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed. Plus, you'd have to put a fair amount of spend on the $200 limit card for it to qualify for a CLI, and do you really want to be spending your time and efforts in doing that on a small limit card? I think it's best to streamline.

I know I will enjoy having fewer cards to have to place spend on as I continue to streamline over the next year! Smiley Happy

Um, hadn't thought about it that way...

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your input, my friends. After sleeping on it, I decided to call this morning and transfer the remaining 200.00 to another card and close this one. I appreciate all your comments. They helped me to think about my decision.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.