Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Card

tag
paturner
New Contributor

Travel Card

I'm going to be taking a trip soon and will need a rental car and motel, which card would give me most immediate discounts on this expenses. I don't have time to build up reward points. I currently have Amex Blue, Discover, and Chase Freedom cards. I couldn't find where these give immedicate discounts for travel. Does anyone know best way to save on these expenses????????????

starting anew
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Travel Card

If you are going to stay at a hilton property, you can AP for AMEX hilton surpass $75 AF but 60,000 is enough for 2-3 nights depending on the property and it gets you gold status for the first year, good for free breakfast and internet in most hotels and room upgrades. Look at the cards that are branded by the hotel chain you are looking for. AMEX  is my favorite because of back dating goodness and SP if not approved.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 6
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

I like the AMEX Blue Sky preffered...you get a $100 arline credit each year for expenses on a particular air line of your choice, inflight food, entertainment, upgrade, extra bag fees....pretty cool, granted that card has a $75 annual fee BUT the $100 airline credit has you coming out ahead $25.00 if you can use that!

Message 3 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

If you book your travel through ShopDiscover, you can get up to 5% cash back on your purchases

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

Shopdiscover should give you discounts on hotwire, travelocity, and expedia. Booking car rentals through the Ultimate Rewards Mall gives you some good discounts. And Visa is also running promotions on car rentals; you can book through their site for 10% discount or more.

Message 5 of 6
Ailee92

@jamesdwi wrote:

If you are going to stay at a hilton property, you can AP for AMEX hilton surpass $75 AF but 60,000 is enough for 2-3 nights depending on the property and it gets you gold status for the first year, good for free breakfast and internet in most hotels and room upgrades. Look at the cards that are branded by the hotel chain you are looking for. AMEX  is my favorite because of back dating goodness and SP if not approved.

Hilton points are a joke. 

There's only a few Tier 1 hotels in the United States and they're all located in places that no one would readily travel to. (boondocks)

Halfway decent hotels are starting at Tier 4 in the United States. Also remember that you really want Hilton points get a Hawaiian Airlines card for 35,000 point sign up, or the Bank of America Hawaiian Airlines card. Those points can be transfered to Hilton account for 1:2 so 70,000 Hilton Honor points is the best deal.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.