Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Cards

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Travel Cards

So this wont be for a little while if i apply for a CS or CSP however i have questions on them and the Venture Card by Cap1

1. If i get CSP can i downgrade to CS?

2. Whats the biggest differences between CSP and CS besides the AF?

3. Is there anything wrong with the Venture card? Becuase if there isnt i might just PC my QS to Venture. 

4. Is redeeming miles with Venture the same as CSP?

5. Which is better CSP or Venture?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Travel Cards

@Skye12329 wrote:

So this wont be for a little while if i apply for a CS or CSP however i have questions on them and the Venture Card by Cap1

3. Is there anything wrong with the Venture card? Becuase if there isnt i might just PC my QS to Venture. 

1. Yes. You should definitely go this route to get the 40k point sign up bonus. 

2. https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/credit-card-benefits/compare-chase-sapphire-cards

3. The Venture card "miles" are actually cash back. You cannot transfer them to partners. 

4. No, Venture "miles" cannot be transferred to partners such as United. 

5. For me, the CSP wins over the Venture. 

Message 2 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Thanks! Now i will just wait a little while longer, preferably till i get a pre-approval for it then apply. Currently gardening till maybe march 2015?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 11
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Yes

CSP gets 2 points for travel and dinning expenses whereas CS only gets 2 points for dinning. CSP can transfer points to miles but CS cannot.

No There's nothing wrong with Venture card... Venture earns 2% back with an AF where as QS earns 1.5% without an AF. Is extra 0.5% cash back worth AF? Depending on how much you spend per year. 

Venture cannot tranfer miles. It's just cash back - their 100 miles = $1

CSP according to most people. You will have to decide for yourself.

Message 4 of 11
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Thanks! Now i will just wait a little while longer preferably till i get a pre-approval for it then apply. Currently gardening till maybe march 2015?

No problem!

What does your credit profile look like if you do not mind me asking? (baddies, utilization, inquiries etc)

Message 5 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

This post by NewGuy may be helpful.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Guide-to-travel-cards/m-p/2918668/highlight/true#M82852...

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Thanks! Now i will just wait a little while longer preferably till i get a pre-approval for it then apply. Currently gardening till maybe march 2015?

No problem!

What does your credit profile look like if you do not mind me asking? (baddies, utilization, inquiries etc)

Currently 25K Student Loans

Util - a little high right now only because times got a little rough so 60%? Paying it down

AAOA - A little less than 2 yrs.

0 Baddies

100% Payment history

11 inqs? March 2015, 10 of those fall off. 

Personally i dont think i qualify yet and im fine with waiting. Im in no rush

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 7 of 11
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

No problem!

Util - a little high right now only because times got a little rough so 60%? Paying it down

0 Baddies

100% Payment history

Perfect! 

Yeah, you should be fine once your utilization comes down and those inquiries fall off. I'd definitely go for the CSP Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

No problem!

0 Baddies

100% Payment history

Perfect! 

Yeah, you should be fine once your utilization comes down and those inquiries fall off. I'd definitely go for the CSP Smiley Happy

I was thinking that too, pretty sure i can qualify for anything when my inqs fall off. This is a stupid question but how do the points transfer? Like do i buy my plane ticket through the Chase website or how do i do all that? 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 9 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Skye12329 wrote:

1. If i get CSP can i downgrade to CS? Yes

2. Whats the biggest differences between CSP and CS besides the AF? CS cannot transfer points to travel partners, changing it from an excellent travel card to a sub par cash back card.

3. Is there anything wrong with the Venture card? Becuase if there isnt i might just PC my QS to Venture. Not necessarily wrong with it, but there are some better values out there. Considering the $59AF on the Venture and the half percent more in earnings than your QS, you will have to spend a good chunk on it to make it a better deal. Also, considering the Fidelity AMEX is a 2% cash back card with NO AF, it will always make more (of course, you need a Fid. account and AMEX isn't accepted everywhere, so take that into consideration.

4. Is redeeming miles with Venture the same as CSP? No, CSP's UR points should be transfered to a loyalty program to maximize value. Venture miles are redeemed as a statement credit at a cent each

5. Which is better CSP or Venture? Venture isn't my cup of tea, but there are a ton of things to consider.

Response above. Check out the thread in my signature for more information about travel cards, it should help explain a lot.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.