Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Travel Credit Cards

I'm currently an undergraduate college student with a credit history of a little over one year. I have 1 visa card, 1 mastercard, 2 store cards, and 4 student loans. My revolving credit balance is 6% and my student loans are shown as having balances even though they're not due until after graduation. I also have 8-10 inquiries.

My equifax score should be around 667-707 when I used the fico stimulator. I just finished paying a large percentage of my revolving credit balances and paying my monthly student loan on time.

I'm going to be traveling and studying abroad a lot for the next three years, and would like to start earning points now. Is it there any chance of be eligible for a travel credit card. I've been studying a lot about them, but don't know which to apply for again once my score has risen. I really would like either a Delta Skymiles American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest American Express. However, I'm just not sure about choosing which travel credit card. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Travel Credit Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm currently an undergraduate college student with a credit history of a little over one year. I have 1 visa card, 1 mastercard, 2 store cards, and 4 student loans. My revolving credit balance is 6% and my student loans are shown as having balances even though they're not due until after graduation. I also have 8-10 inquiries.

My equifax score should be around 667-707 when I used the fico stimulator. I just finished paying a large percentage of my revolving credit balances and paying my monthly student loan on time.

I'm going to be traveling and studying abroad a lot for the next three years, and would like to start earning points now. Is it there any chance of be eligible for a travel credit card. I've been studying a lot about them, but don't know which to apply for again once my score has risen. I really would like either a Delta Skymiles American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest American Express. However, I'm just not sure about choosing which travel credit card. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forums!

Rewards for travel are one thing. What you need to be concerned about before you even get to that is what fee will be imposed for foreign charges. Many CC's have fee's for overseas use that could partially or totally negate the value of any rewards earned.

It has been reported that CapOne does not impose such a fee, but I cannot verify this personally. Best to read all the fine print in the T&C of any CC before you app!

Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would also spend the $15 and get at least one of your fico scores vs using the simulator.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I'll be reading into it. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.