Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel/Hotel Card Guidance

tag
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Re: Travel/Hotel Card Guidance

@msf12555 wrote:

I would definitely agree that daily spending should never be placed on a Hotel branded credit card, as you can do better with a CB / categories card. However, since the OP stated that they would be doing "quite a bit" of domestic travel next year (now this year I guess :-)), it really could pay off to have one of the co branded credit cards. As an example, let's say the OP spends $1000 at the Hilton properties. Using their points and points option, they would get 15 points a dollar spent. So, without the credit card shapes up like this:

10000 base points (10 base points per dollar)

+

5000 bonus points (5 bonus points for using points plus points)

15000 points accrued

Now, let's assume the OP gets the Surpass card from Amex. The OP would get

10000 base points (10 base points per dollar)

+

5000 bonus points (5 bonus points for using points plus points)

+

12000 bonus points (12 points per dollar spent at Hilton locations from Amex Surpass)

+

2500 points (25% bonus on base points from being gold elite status, obtained from having Amex Surpass)

29500 points accrued

So the OP can double their points (just about) simply by having the hotel branded credit card. Marriott is similar. You normally get 10 points, but with the Chase card get another 5 points for hotel spend on the card and 20% bonus for silver status which you get with their card. Also with many of the bigger hotel chains, you are pretty much guaranteed that they will have properties wherever you go.

To sum up, as sillykitty said, daily spend can bet better returns on other cards. But if you are going to be spending some time travelling / staying at hotels, a co-branded card can really boost the return you get at the properties. Personally, I'd be willing to hold some of the cards and pay the AF even if I stay twice a year simply for the free annual night and free perks like breakfast and internet when I do stay Smiley Tongue

That's my .02

I think it all comes down to how much is "quite a bit" of travel.  My thought process was with $20,000 net income, how much could realistically be spent on travel?  

Message 21 of 25
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't see that, good point.

Message 22 of 25
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@msf12555 wrote:

I would definitely agree that daily spending should never be placed on a Hotel branded credit card, as you can do better with a CB / categories card. However, since the OP stated that they would be doing "quite a bit" of domestic travel next year (now this year I guess :-)), it really could pay off to have one of the co branded credit cards. As an example, let's say the OP spends $1000 at the Hilton properties. Using their points and points option, they would get 15 points a dollar spent. So, without the credit card shapes up like this:

+

15000 points accrued

+

+

12000 bonus points (12 points per dollar spent at Hilton locations from Amex Surpass)

+

2500 points (25% bonus on base points from being gold elite status, obtained from having Amex Surpass)

29500 points accrued

So the OP can double their points (just about) simply by having the hotel branded credit card. Marriott is similar. You normally get 10 points, but with the Chase card get another 5 points for hotel spend on the card and 20% bonus for silver status which you get with their card. Also with many of the bigger hotel chains, you are pretty much guaranteed that they will have properties wherever you go.

To sum up, as sillykitty said, daily spend can bet better returns on other cards. But if you are going to be spending some time travelling / staying at hotels, a co-branded card can really boost the return you get at the properties. Personally, I'd be willing to hold some of the cards and pay the AF even if I stay twice a year simply for the free annual night and free perks like breakfast and internet when I do stay Smiley Tongue

That's my .02

I think it all comes down to how much is "quite a bit" of travel.  My thought process was with $20,000 net income, how much could realistically be spent on travel?  

THat's what I was going to say silly Smiley Tongue .But I agree thatthe OP should consider a general Cash Back rewards with high rewards. With the net income of 20k, that's not much travel IMO and I wouldn't look for an card with an AF either.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 23 of 25
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@msf12555 wrote:

+

15000 points accrued

+

+

+

29500 points accrued

That's my .02

THat's what I was going to say silly Smiley Tongue .But I agree thatthe OP should consider a general Cash Back rewards with high rewards. With the net income of 20k, that's not much travel IMO and I wouldn't look for an card with an AF either.

+1. I'd almost never recommend travel cards with AFs with an income that low. The only exception I could see is the hotel cards with an annual free night which offsets the AF, but as others have mentioned that locks you into a particular chain. Given his income level, price becomes everything (even if it's at another chain).

Also one thing to note about devaluations is that an AA devaluation is coming. Once the merger is finished, you can bet that AA will re-vamp their award chart and it won't be for the better.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 24 of 25
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

I have two favorite travel cards that I recommend to you.

Chase Sapphire Preferred:

You earn 2 points per dollar on dining and travel.

No foreign transaction fees.

7% annual points dividend on all points earned, even if redeemed already.

You can transfer you points to chase's lineup of travel partners.

You can book travel through their website at comparable prices to Expedia/etc. and you get 125% of the cash value of your points. Example: You have 40,000 points ($400 cash); you can redeem this for $500 in travel.

Comes with a Signup bonus of 40,000 points ($400 cash or $500 in travel) after spending $3,000.

Annual fee is $95, but is free the first year. You can downgrade to the regular Chase Sapphire card before the anniversary and escape the annual fee, but maintain a decent everyday spending card that can possibly be product changed to Chase Freedom.

Chase Marriott:

50k bonus points after spending $1,000.

Annual free night stay at a category 1-4 hotel.

5 points per dollar at Marriott properties.

2 points per dollar on tickets purchased directly from airlines, at car rental agencies, and restaurants.

Annual fee of $85, waived for the first year. Free annual stay basically makes the card free.

No foreign transaction fees. Automatic silver status.

have both of these cards and really like them for travel. I only use the Marriott one to book Marriott hotels. You don't get the most value for your money if you use the card for other purchases. I stay at the lower end hotels they own, so I find the card to be a great value. I recently booked a night with points at a Fairfield Inn (comparable to Hampton) and only used 7,500 points. With the signup bonus, you could probably stay 6 nights at a lower category hotel for free, plus the free night certificate they give on top of that. Marriott always has cheaper properties everywhere I visit, even the small towns. This card has worked out great. CSP has also been great because of the 125% redemption value on points. The overall benefits of the card make it really attractive for my spending habits. I think the signup bonus and the benefits would be great for the year you travel, then you can PC the card to a no annual fee card like Sapphire or Chase Freedom and use it for general spending.

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.