Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Notifications

tag
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Travel Notifications

SO and I are getting ready to do some domestic travel. His primary card is USAA, and we'll be putting in a travel note with them because they're pretty tight on security. But my primary card is with my credit union, plus I use my debit card from B of A on occassion. Do you think it's necessary for me to notify them of spending outside of my normal area as long as it is domestic?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Re: Travel Notifications

@barbaralee wrote:

SO and I are getting ready to do some domestic travel. His primary card is USAA, and we'll be putting in a travel note with them because they're pretty tight on security. But my primary card is with my credit union, plus I use my debit card from B of A on occassion. Do you think it's necessary for me to notify them of spending outside of my normal area as long as it is domestic?

I would; as a cautionary measure. Better safe, than sorry. 

When I went half way across the country last year, for my sisters college gradutaion, the only CC company that told me it wasn't required was AmEx. But, they still said they would add a notation for the dates I indicated I was traveling. 

Edit: for spellcheck. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 2 of 5
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

Definately notify BoA. I am constantly having fraud blocks put on my BoA debit cards almost everytime I travel outside of my home area. Frankly, it is a PITA. But if you notify them of where and when you will be, it will save you the embaressment of a decline. And try getting a hold of them after hours or sat night or sunday. Very difficult.

Message 3 of 5
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@flyingmd wrote:

Definately notify BoA. I am constantly having fraud blocks put on my BoA debit cards almost everytime I travel outside of my home area. Frankly, it is a PITA. But if you notify them of where and when you will be, it will save you the embaressment of a decline. And try getting a hold of them after hours or sat night or sunday. Very difficult.

+1

I was incomvenienced a couple of times with BOA debit cards on trips.  Once when flying my small plane cross-country and more recently on long motorcycle trips (traded down to the motorcycle after the divorce Smiley Sad).

The last time they declined it, I called and had a long conversation with them.  I explained that I go on a lot of long motorcycle trips and that if there were gas charges every 100 - 150 miles or so that they were most likely good charges.  I haven't had problems since. 

bobebob

My FICO EQ=789

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 4 of 5
John060675
Valued Contributor

Definitely call them.  I have had my card frozen on international trips and it took 24 hours to get it open.  That really sucked.  I have had the same issue in some domestic trips too.

I like the fact they are vigilant when it comes to fraud.  I have learned to just make it a habit of calling my CCC when I travel out of state.  Since then I have not had any problems.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.