cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel cards: am i missing something?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Travel cards: am i missing something?

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:
Im confused on why cards that get you more points by redemption via portal are better vs a card such as venture or arrival where you can redeem for statement credit on travel purchases.

Im confused because are booking through a portal prices higher than if you were to book directly through a website?

OP, is the question geared towards cards like Chase Sapphire Preferred, with the UR Travel booking?

(a) It's not clear if the UR Travel booking charges more than outside options. If the prices offered are the same, you're getting 20% better return with the Chase card compared to the Venture.

(b) CSP wins over Venture because Venture, at best, gives 2% back while CSP points can be transferred to many travel partners and redeemed for at least 1.6 to 2 cents per point. So travel or dining spend on CSP gives you more than 3% return. Add Freedom to that and you're getting 8% or more back on the 5x categories, something the Venture doesn't do.

However, cards like Venture seem easy to deal with. However, once the bonus has been redeemed, it's no better compared to a Citi DC (or the Fidelity 2% card) that gives you 2% cashback on everything and no need to redeem for travel only.

Yes i meant the travel portals such as Amex and Chase for booking. 

I agree with the part of Venture being easier to deal with, which is why it caught my interest but after reading others posts, i just realized it would be basically a cashback card as others have mentioned. Which I'm not opposed to cashback cards, but seriously thinking about travelling a little more than i do now. I'm not loyal to any specific airline or hotel chain, so not positive if a hotel or airline specific card would benefit us. Together we have: CSP + Freedom Combo and Amex ED + PRG for travel cards. 

Still considering Citi Prestige but after thinking about it more, i am questioning will we be able to use its benefits more to justify the AF. The current cards we have as i mentioned, aren't too bad for managing the AF, CSP is easy for us to justify. Thinking about cancelling the PRG at the year mark depending on how much use we put through it. Currently it sees about 1200 - 2k on average a month. Recommendations are always welcome. We generally spend a minimum of 2k a month if it helps. Could possibly do 3k if we run our rent through our cards. 

I just think it's important to do your due diligence. The Chase portal offers the "20% discount", but there are definitely people who say the portal is more expensive to begin with, so the 20% may well be a wash or not as great as it sounds.

You already have cards for UR and MR programs (and annual fees to pay/justify). Adding yet another program (TY points) is probably not going to have much long term benefit. You can only spend so much per month, and the more you dilute it, the less you get in the end. Travel programs generally demand higher, more concentrated spending, unless you want to save up points for years.

What are you trying to get that you feel you are missing? It's nice to want to travel more, but what's the specific goal that you think CSP or PRG cannot help you accomplish? Between MR and UR, you have plenty of travel options. Just not sure what you feel is lacking here.

Thats why i was somewhat considering the Venture card, was because of the reason in red. I guess worst case scenario i would have to compare prices/points and book with non portal website and just get 2x points for travel and then put those points towards a hotel or something. 

The TY points part you mentioned, its a valid point. It would be a tad harder to earn more points. 

I apologize for my vague post, i didn't realize it was so vague but none of you are mind readers either Smiley Tongue What i feel that i was missing is i google best travel card for points and benefits wise. It seems the CSP comes up all the time, along with Venture. I guess i just felt that the Venture card would be better for travel because of the easy redemption but now realized the CSP would probably end up being better for redemption even if it was via Chase portal. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 21 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:
Im confused on why cards that get you more points by redemption via portal are better vs a card such as venture or arrival where you can redeem for statement credit on travel purchases.

Im confused because are booking through a portal prices higher than if you were to book directly through a website?

OP, is the question geared towards cards like Chase Sapphire Preferred, with the UR Travel booking?

(a) It's not clear if the UR Travel booking charges more than outside options. If the prices offered are the same, you're getting 20% better return with the Chase card compared to the Venture.

(b) CSP wins over Venture because Venture, at best, gives 2% back while CSP points can be transferred to many travel partners and redeemed for at least 1.6 to 2 cents per point. So travel or dining spend on CSP gives you more than 3% return. Add Freedom to that and you're getting 8% or more back on the 5x categories, something the Venture doesn't do.

However, cards like Venture seem easy to deal with. However, once the bonus has been redeemed, it's no better compared to a Citi DC (or the Fidelity 2% card) that gives you 2% cashback on everything and no need to redeem for travel only.

I agree with the part of Venture being easier to deal with, which is why it caught my interest but after reading others posts, i just realized it would be basically a cashback card as others have mentioned. Which I'm not opposed to cashback cards, but seriously thinking about travelling a little more than i do now. I'm not loyal to any specific airline or hotel chain, so not positive if a hotel or airline specific card would benefit us. Together we have: CSP + Freedom Combo and Amex ED + PRG for travel cards. 

Still considering Citi Prestige but after thinking about it more, i am questioning will we be able to use its benefits more to justify the AF. The current cards we have as i mentioned, aren't too bad for managing the AF, CSP is easy for us to justify. Thinking about cancelling the PRG at the year mark depending on how much use we put through it. Currently it sees about 1200 - 2k on average a month. Recommendations are always welcome. We generally spend a minimum of 2k a month if it helps. Could possibly do 3k if we run our rent through our cards. 

I just think it's important to do your due diligence. The Chase portal offers the "20% discount", but there are definitely people who say the portal is more expensive to begin with, so the 20% may well be a wash or not as great as it sounds.

You already have cards for UR and MR programs (and annual fees to pay/justify). Adding yet another program (TY points) is probably not going to have much long term benefit. You can only spend so much per month, and the more you dilute it, the less you get in the end. Travel programs generally demand higher, more concentrated spending, unless you want to save up points for years.

What are you trying to get that you feel you are missing? It's nice to want to travel more, but what's the specific goal that you think CSP or PRG cannot help you accomplish? Between MR and UR, you have plenty of travel options. Just not sure what you feel is lacking here.

Thats why i was somewhat considering the Venture card, was because of the reason in red. I guess worst case scenario i would have to compare prices/points and book with non portal website and just get 2x points for travel and then put those points towards a hotel or something. 

The TY points part you mentioned, its a valid point. It would be a tad harder to earn more points. 

I apologize for my vague post, i didn't realize it was so vague but none of you are mind readers either Smiley Tongue What i feel that i was missing is i google best travel card for points and benefits wise. It seems the CSP comes up all the time, along with Venture. I guess i just felt that the Venture card would be better for travel because of the easy redemption but now realized the CSP would probably end up being better for redemption even if it was via Chase portal. 

Just remember that aside from no FTF, there's nothing "better" about using Venture for travel purchases vs Double Cash or Fidelity Visa. 2x points for travel on Venture is the same thing as 2% cash.

Most people get the Venture for the historically large limits and/or sign up bonus. I don't see many people recommending it, especially with the AF, as a long term card, simply because there are alternatives with no fee. The only time a Venture could be worth paying for in the long run is if your foreign spend is very high I suppose.

Message 22 of 25
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

2k a month in credit card spend isn't that much for long term cards, unless its a lot of category spend. If you have to pay a fee to run your rent through your card then I would avoid it unless you are trying to make a spend requirement for a signup bonus. Otherwise its a loss. The CSP & Freedom combo is good. I don't know all the details about your spend, but you probably don't need the PRG and would be better off cutting it loose, you can put spend through the everyday card. The prestige is an oustanding card, but there are some things to note. Its best to wait for a strong signup offer with the prestige card. Second, the prestige and the lounge access will really benefit you if you are flying to destinations, especially if you are taking a trip that requires a number of little flights during the course of the trip. You can also derive a significant benefit from the prestige if you use the fourth night free feature. If you golf then that perk can be really useful as well. All that being said if you don't need any of those features then the prestige with its current signup wouldn't be worth the hassle. An airline card will not likely benefit you unless they have a massive signup offer. The exception is if you tend to check baggage and have a couple of flights coming up in which case the baggage alone can offset the AF and get you priority boarding. I keep my AA card hanging around for those benefits. A hotel card may be worth looking into. Just becuase you get a hotel card doesn't mean you are committing to that hotel chain for life. Some cards offer two free nights as a signup. You can get the card, make the min spend and then SD the card. Then cancel it when the AF hits or keep it if you can use the free night/perks they offer.    

2k a month isn't a lot of spend? I personally thought it was quite a bit, but just my opinion. DH will probably end up cutting the PRG when the AF hits. The idea of a hotel card and free nights isn't too bad of an idea for myself. I am not loyal to any specific chain, my thing with hotels is i just wanna be sure there is a hotel of that chain to wherever i am travelling. Don't know where i am travelling yet. We are discussing possibly New York, Chicago, or maybe Vegas this year. Not confirmed though. I do prefer to have cards for the long run or at least 2 years generally. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 23 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

2k a month in credit card spend isn't that much for long term cards, unless its a lot of category spend. If you have to pay a fee to run your rent through your card then I would avoid it unless you are trying to make a spend requirement for a signup bonus. Otherwise its a loss. The CSP & Freedom combo is good. I don't know all the details about your spend, but you probably don't need the PRG and would be better off cutting it loose, you can put spend through the everyday card. The prestige is an oustanding card, but there are some things to note. Its best to wait for a strong signup offer with the prestige card. Second, the prestige and the lounge access will really benefit you if you are flying to destinations, especially if you are taking a trip that requires a number of little flights during the course of the trip. You can also derive a significant benefit from the prestige if you use the fourth night free feature. If you golf then that perk can be really useful as well. All that being said if you don't need any of those features then the prestige with its current signup wouldn't be worth the hassle. An airline card will not likely benefit you unless they have a massive signup offer. The exception is if you tend to check baggage and have a couple of flights coming up in which case the baggage alone can offset the AF and get you priority boarding. I keep my AA card hanging around for those benefits. A hotel card may be worth looking into. Just becuase you get a hotel card doesn't mean you are committing to that hotel chain for life. Some cards offer two free nights as a signup. You can get the card, make the min spend and then SD the card. Then cancel it when the AF hits or keep it if you can use the free night/perks they offer.    

2k a month isn't a lot of spend? I personally thought it was quite a bit, but just my opinion. DH will probably end up cutting the PRG when the AF hits. The idea of a hotel card and free nights isn't too bad of an idea for myself. I am not loyal to any specific chain, my thing with hotels is i just wanna be sure there is a hotel of that chain to wherever i am travelling. Don't know where i am travelling yet. We are discussing possibly New York, Chicago, or maybe Vegas this year. Not confirmed though. I do prefer to have cards for the long run or at least 2 years generally. 

When spread across multiple cards is what I am referring to. With the potential destinations you listed a free hotel night would really pay off (in Vegas you can get cheaper rooms), but for places like New York free hotel nights can add up to quite a savings. In major cities the big chains will have properties. The citi hilton reserve will get you two free weekend nights, the chase hyatt will get you two free nights. The amex spg is offering 35k points right now. These can get you nice hotel nights even in NYC or you could transfer them to some airlines for flights. The marriott card is ok with 80k signup and depending on the types of properties you want to stay at you can stretch those points further but in major cities it costs a lot of points, hence I would look at the other cards mentioned first. There is the IHG card although I don't know much about it. The hilton reserve gives you gold status with hilton, but isn't really a good card to keep after first year unless you are going to use the gold status. The hyatt and marriott card will give you a free night each year. I think IHG does that too. The SPG card doesn't give a free night, but in terms of point value starpoints are quite valuable and you can probably spend enough on the card to earn some free rooms.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 24 of 25
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

You've got two routes, in my opinion. 

Route (1): Existing combo of CSP + Freedom and AMEX ED + PRG

Let's say you run $12k a year.  I don't know much of your spending categories, but being optimistic, let's say you max out Freedom 5x bonus categories ($6k). That earns you about 30k UR points a year. The remaining $6k: I'll assume you earn between 1 and 2 UR points so about 9k UR points, totalling about 40k UR points (very optimistically) or probably somewhere around 25-30k more realistically. You can boost your points earning by using Chase's shopping portal as well, and get an additional 2-3 UR points per $ for shopping online. 

Note: If you rather use the ED + PRG combo, make sure you're spending it the right way. Splitting points has its problems. Quick pointer: If you want to use both MR and UR, then you should get a frequent flier number for Singapore Airlines (or British, but MR transfer to British has been recently devalued). Then you can travel domestic on United. I did that last year to go to Hawaii by business class (United calls it first class but it's just wider seats at the front of the plane) for 30k UR per person one way. Thinking of doing something similar this year as well.

Now I'll go back to the UR example and assume that you have say 30k UR points in a year with $12k spending.

The most no-brainer redemption policy is on Southwest (except if it doesn't fly where you want, or you dislike them somehow!). In most cases, if you are able to book even a month in advance, those 30k UR points should give you about $450-$500 (sometimes more than that, and less if you book pretty close to travel date) worth of flight tickets. Don't transfer the points too early. Check your ticket prices and the amount of points they want (very easily viewable), then transfer your points right before booking. 

Not bad for $12k spend, eh?

30k UR points can also get you about 2-3 free hotel nights (depending on where you're staying) with Chase UR partners. 

Route (2): Get a new credit card

IHG, Marriott, Hilton, and SPG are all running good promos right now. Since you spend about 2k per month, you shouldn't have a problem with the min spend on any of those cards. Pick one and go with it, if your credit can take it. 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.