Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel credit cards and frequent fly programs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Travel credit cards and frequent fly programs

What do you mean by devaluated? Sorry, I didn't track on those perks before.

Any better FF programs in the Star Alliance is not deval?

Message 31 of 34
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What do you mean by devaluated? Sorry, I didn't track on those perks before.

Any better FF programs in the Star Alliance is not deval?

Devalued. Meaning that United changed their redemption charts so it costs a lot more miles to redeem flights on their partners in star alliance. Again I would suggest looking into which airlines you may want to redeem your flights on. What airlines fly where you want to go? What type of service do they provide? Which alliance are they in? How much do they cost for redemptions? What earning opportunities exist for those airlines or their partners. You may want to fly CX, but its better to book it through AA than using asiamiles because the redemptions cost more via asiamiles. You may have a lot of chase URs so you would want to look at their travel partners. Easiest thing to do is determine what awards you want to redeem and then backtrack and see the best way to work towards those awards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 32 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Star Alliance miles was collected to US airways before. Since the big merger, I got a lot of miles on AA. That's why I stick to AA for now. But seems UA and other Star Alliances provide cheaper price for my flights, so I would like to have a Star Alliance FF program to stick to in a long run, and maybe also have a card which is transferable to their miles. If I can generally use any Star Alliance FF mileage to book a partner program's award ticket, I guess it doesn't matter which FF I use to collect miles within the alliance. What concerns me is which airline mileage values more than others. Any insight?

Message 33 of 34
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My Star Alliance miles was collected to US airways before. Since the big merger, I got a lot of miles on AA. That's why I stick to AA for now. But seems UA and other Star Alliances provide cheaper price for my flights, so I would like to have a Star Alliance FF program to stick to in a long run, and maybe also have a card which is transferable to their miles. If I can generally use any Star Alliance FF mileage to book a partner program's award ticket, I guess it doesn't matter which FF I use to collect miles within the alliance. What concerns me is which airline mileage values more than others. Any insight?

Well best thing you can do is pick one airline and stick to it for as often as possible, since you want all the miles in one FF account. Sometimes you can credit other airline flights to your main airline FF account. You also want to fly the same airline as much as possible in order to earn status whioch can provide perks and increase your earning rate. If you want to use United then the credit cards will come from chase. Due to chase policies if you do not have the UR cards yet and you have too many new accounts in the past two years you will be limited in getting those signup bonuses which would be a blow to your earning potential. AA would go through citibank. In terms of what airline mileage is more valuable I don't think its a contest when it comes to redemptions at the moment. AA miles will get you more bang for your buck and are easier to accumulate via citibank. Of course, if it costs a lot more for you to fly american over united then it may not be worth it. Things are also subject to change year to year. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.