cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel reward card for infrequent flyer!

tag
CreditKnight_850
Valued Member

Travel reward card for infrequent flyer!

Hi,

I have been avoiding to apply for any new credit for about 3 years. My score went up to 800s and I decided to apply for some new credit cards to maximize my rewards.

Yesterday I applied and approed for following cards:

PenFed Cash Rewards - SL 50K (reason 5% gas)

Fidelity Amex - SL 21K (reason 2% everywhere)

CapOne Venture - SL 30K (reason metal card)

I already have Amex BCP (30K) so I'm covered for groceries 6%. I travel internationally once a year with family and want a card which will maximize my rewards and also give me maximum cash back/rewards on airfare (between $4K-$7K for whole family).

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Khawar

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Travel reward card for infrequent flyer!

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

Hi,

I have been avoiding to apply for any new credit for about 3 years. My score went up to 800s and I decided to apply for some new credit cards to maximize my rewards.

Yesterday I applied and approed for following cards:

PenFed Cash Rewards - SL 50K (reason 5% gas)

Fidelity Amex - SL 21K (reason 2% everywhere)

CapOne Venture - SL 30K (reason metal card)

I already have Amex BCP (30K) so I'm covered for groceries 6%. I travel internationally once a year with family and want a card which will maximize my rewards and also give me maximum cash bank/rewards on airfare (between $4K-$7K for whole family).

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Khawar

How will a metal card help you achieve this? Otherwise good approvals.

Message 2 of 24
CreditKnight_850
Valued Member

Oh, that was just to have a metal card. There was no other reason to apply for that card or any goals to meet Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

Oh, that was just to have a metal card. There was no other reason to apply for that card or any goals to meet Smiley Happy

Gotcha, The Sapphire Preferred would have been a better metal card despite the higher AF as it earns UR instead of "miles"

Message 4 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you don't fly/travel much you don't need a specific travel card and cash back will suit better. Run the numbers and you'll see what I mean. Even once a year at 4-7k may not justify paying for a specific travel card.

As for the Venture/metal...no comment other than it's not even a sure thing with that card, so if that was the only reason for getting it, you'll be disappointed

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals but most Ventures being sent out are not metal

Message 6 of 24
Callandra
Valued Contributor

For infrequent travel, you might just be better off with cash back cards. 

However, have you looked at the travel partners for UR, MR, SPG, and TY points? I would also look into how the redemptions would work for you (with some exceptions, points give the most value on international business/first class and you will probably need some flexibility in booking dates). Do you have a preferred airline/live near an airline hub? Run the numbers and see what you come up with. You might also want to search some threads here about how some people do run into issues with booking (need to book in advance, need flexibility, etc). Depending on these factors, using your Fidelity Amex might just be simplest and best for you.

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 24
CreditKnight_850
Valued Member

Well if its not metal then thats what it is Smiley Sad, I will try to combine with my QS and close it.

Message 8 of 24
CreditKnight_850
Valued Member

Which cash back card does give 5% on airfare? I use Emirates/Etihad/Qatar/Turkish Airlines depending on what the prices are each year.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

Which cash back card does give 5% on airfare? I use Emirates/Etihad/Qatar/Turkish Airlines depending on what the prices are each year.

None

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.