cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel reward card for infrequent flyer!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Travel reward card for infrequent flyer!

@Anonymous wrote:

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

Which cash back card does give 5% on airfare? I use Emirates/Etihad/Qatar/Turkish Airlines depending on what the prices are each year.

None

I wouldn't say that. Etihad IS a Oneworld partner. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

Which cash back card does give 5% on airfare? I use Emirates/Etihad/Qatar/Turkish Airlines depending on what the prices are each year.

None

Ok but who gives 5% on travel?

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

None

3X Airfare on Prestige = 4.8% on AA flight. Smiley Tongue Close enough, right?

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

None

3X Airfare on Prestige = 4.8% on AA flight. Smiley Tongue Close enough, right?

True.  Forgot about that.

Message 14 of 24
yfan
Valued Contributor

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

That depends. There IS a card that gives you 5% on airfare (actually a total of 6%), but you can only redeem it towards hotels.

The Orbitz Rewards Visa earns 5% in "Orbucks" (1 Orbuck = 1 USD) for all Orbitz prepaid bookings (flights/hotels/packages). The only catch is you have to use your rewards to pay for a hotel that is also paid for through Orbitz. I said 6% because you get an additional 1% for being an Orbitz Rewards member and booking through Orbitz. Other than having to redeem for hotel stays, there are no restrictions. You can redeem for an entire stay or pay partial and the rest in cash (since Orbucks and USDs are interchangable for Orbitz hotel bookings), and the card has no AF or FTF.

If this is not an option, though, you may want to look into MR or UR points.

Message 15 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Citi Dividend is 5% off airfare either this or next quarter (Obviously not my most used card), up to the $300 cashback cap

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

It's not cashback but amex PRG gives you 4x airfare if you book thru amextravel.com, otherwise it gives you 3x airfare thru carriers.

Message 17 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

Actually with infrequent travel some travel card signup offers can be much more valuable than cash back. you can build up larger balances and redeem for a big trip. That being said it depends on how/where you want to travel and what types of properties you want to stay at. If you always go for dirt cheap hotel rooms then probably cash back is better if you want to stay at nice places and its a more expensive area points can come out way ahead. What you don't need is a travel card that focuses on benefits instead of bonus spend like the Amex plat, since those large af cards are mainly valuable to people who can repeatedly use th benefits over course of a year. Hotel cards with two free night signup offers can be great too for a once in a year trip.  The cards mentioned above offer good value back on airfare.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

Actually with infrequent travel some travel card signup offers can be much more valuable than cash back. you can build up larger balances and redeem for a big trip. That being said it depends on how/where you want to travel and what types of properties you want to stay at. If you always go for dirt cheap hotel rooms then probably cash back is better if you want to stay at nice places and its a more expensive area points can come out way ahead. What you don't need is a travel card that focuses on benefits instead of bonus spend like the Amex plat, since those large af cards are mainly valuable to people who can repeatedly use th benefits over course of a year. Hotel cards with two free night signup offers can be great too for a once in a year trip.  The cards mentioned above offer good value back on airfare.

Award flights on Etihad can be had with AA miles. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

Hi,

I have been avoiding to apply for any new credit for about 3 years. My score went up to 800s and I decided to apply for some new credit cards to maximize my rewards.

Yesterday I applied and approed for following cards:

PenFed Cash Rewards - SL 50K (reason 5% gas)

Fidelity Amex - SL 21K (reason 2% everywhere)

CapOne Venture - SL 30K (reason metal card)

I already have Amex BCP (30K) so I'm covered for groceries 6%. I travel internationally once a year with family and want a card which will maximize my rewards and also give me maximum cash back/rewards on airfare (between $4K-$7K for whole family).

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Khawar

The Citi Thank You Premier has the same 3x points on Travel (hotels, airlines, gasoline day-to-day), and 2x on dining and entertainment, but only charges a $95 AF. The miles can transfer to Etihad, Flying Blue, Qatar, Quantas and Singapore airlines and a few others, or can be redeemed 1.2x direct from the Citi booking. So 3 points becomes 3.6 if booked directly, or miles transfer to one of those other airlines.

When actually flying on that airline, apart from the credit card spend, depending on which alliance partnerships there are, you can also earn miles from sitting in the seats. The miles don't necessarily have to go to that airline, as long as there is a partnership or alliance, the Frequent Flyer miles could be routed to another airline that is your "central repository" such as Etihad or Singapore. Having a credit card that is also able to transfer points to that airline is a benefit because the frequent flyer miles can be kept alive longer.

The reason that Citi Thank You credit cards offer such rich rewards in points is that they don't have direct transfer capability to any domestic majors. So they give you the extra points for your trouble in finding a way to actually redeem them.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.