cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel reward card for infrequent flyer!

tag
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Re: Travel reward card for infrequent flyer!

@yfan wrote:

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

Which cash back card does give 5% on airfare? I use Emirates/Etihad/Qatar/Turkish Airlines depending on what the prices are each year.

That depends. There IS a card that gives you 5% on airfare (actually a total of 6%), but you can only redeem it towards hotels.

The Orbitz Rewards Visa earns 5% in "Orbucks" (1 Orbuck = 1 USD) for all Orbitz prepaid bookings (flights/hotels/packages). The only catch is you have to use your rewards to pay for a hotel that is also paid for through Orbitz. I said 6% because you get an additional 1% for being an Orbitz Rewards member and booking through Orbitz. Other than having to redeem for hotel stays, there are no restrictions. You can redeem for an entire stay or pay partial and the rest in cash (since Orbucks and USDs are interchangable for Orbitz hotel bookings), and the card has no AF or FTF.

If this is not an option, though, you may want to look into MR or UR points.

This is probably the best casual travel's card! btw, it's 10% back on hotels if you book thru mobile app.

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is also 100 back on a 600 travel purchase through them. If you can time it with a prg bonus you can redeem a 800 charge down to 500, as you also get that one time credit. I want to go to Portland in Spring, i hope my plan is easy to do.
Message 22 of 24
CreditKnight_850
Valued Member

@vwgrrc wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@KhawarAshraf wrote:

Which cash back card does give 5% on airfare? I use Emirates/Etihad/Qatar/Turkish Airlines depending on what the prices are each year.

That depends. There IS a card that gives you 5% on airfare (actually a total of 6%), but you can only redeem it towards hotels.

The Orbitz Rewards Visa earns 5% in "Orbucks" (1 Orbuck = 1 USD) for all Orbitz prepaid bookings (flights/hotels/packages). The only catch is you have to use your rewards to pay for a hotel that is also paid for through Orbitz. I said 6% because you get an additional 1% for being an Orbitz Rewards member and booking through Orbitz. Other than having to redeem for hotel stays, there are no restrictions. You can redeem for an entire stay or pay partial and the rest in cash (since Orbucks and USDs are interchangable for Orbitz hotel bookings), and the card has no AF or FTF.

If this is not an option, though, you may want to look into MR or UR points.

This is probably the best casual travel's card! btw, it's 10% back on hotels if you book thru mobile app.

This is good option, problem is that I go to see my parents, so no hotels or anything involved. But I see that it will be best if I break the journey and stop over in Dubai for example. I have also been looking at CSP because I have chase Freedom and its is also mentioned as good combination from UR point of view that other posters mentioned.

Message 23 of 24
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

I am really enjoying the orbitz card myself. I thought I would be big on the Venture as I am a once a year or so flyer myself but I'm just not in love with it even though it is a metal card lol.
I will say this I am traveling in September for 6 nights and between my "miles" on my two ventures and some orbucks I had accumulated I paid for 750 dollars worth of hotel stays for free. The nice thing with the orbitz is you don't have to use that card when you book to redeem so I was able to combine the rewards.

Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.