Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel rewards card that's not the CSP

tag
Spanky23
Established Member

Travel rewards card that's not the CSP

CSP is my dream card but I don't have any plans to spend 4k in a 3 month time period for sure starting out the year

I want to start saving up travel rewards so I can go on trips this next year if not 2017. I currently have a discover it and chase freedom for cash back in general. I'm not saying no to the BCP even though it's not a travels card. 

I'd like to get in with a new company. Amex, capital one?

Scores are in the mid 700s 

Idk if it matters, but when i fly I fly southwest, but that's because my dad always flew them and I never had to make my own flights

Would like to apply before 2016 Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Travel rewards card that's not the CSP

If you can locate the PRG offer of 50k on 1k spend it would be a good start 

Other than that cashback cards may fare better for you because most good travel cards come with a AF and a  large spend for the bonus points 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 17
Spanky23
Established Member

Yeah I thought maybe trying the amex everyday and prg in one go.But don't really like the everyday offer

Message 3 of 17
Spanky23
Established Member

I'm not closed off from a charge card but I'd definitely app for a credit card first to extend my utilization

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seconding the Amex PRG if you can get the 50k points for $1k spend offer to pop up. You can apply right afterwards for an Amex revolver and (very likely) have it fall under one HP, if adding a revolving CC is important to you to improve your utilization. As for which revolver... the Everyday has the advantage of giving you somewhere to park your points fee-free in the longterm if you plan on closing the PRG before the AF comes due, but the BCP and BCE both have good cash bonus offers floating around that could be worth a look as well if you're not 100% wedded to points-only. I'd say figure out which bonus offers are available to you and go with whichever is worth more to you personally. Also worth taking the respective minimum spends into account--the BCP and BCE offers I've seen only had 1k minimum spend in 3 months for the bonus, while the Everyday and Everyday Preferred offers were for 2k. If you went for combining the PRG with whichever revolver you choose, you'd have to figure out if $2k total vs. $3k total in 3 months was manageable for you.

Message 5 of 17
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Some people like the Capital One Venture. It has a decent bonus but I'm not a huge fan of it and will be PCing mine when the AF comes due. I see this more as a cashback card for travel or Amazon GC. 

Consider the Amex PRG/ED(P) combo 50k & 25k offers in incognito mode. 

Citi Prestige or Citi Premier 

Various Airline / Hotel cards based on your preference. 

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

Some people like the Capital One Venture. It has a decent bonus but I'm not a huge fan of it and will be PCing mine when the AF comes due. I see this more as a cashback card for travel or Amazon GC. 

Consider the Amex PRG/ED(P) combo 50k & 25k offers in incognito mode. 

Citi Prestige or Citi Premier 

Various Airline / Hotel cards based on your preference. 

Did you just decide not to add QS to your sig? Or is it closed lol

@OP, any particular hotel or airline you'll be taking?

Message 7 of 17
Spanky23
Established Member

I usually fly Southwest, again because thus far every trip I've been on my father has as well and it's the airline he likes. So I might stick with them, but I'm open to others as well. Hotels, nothing in particular

Message 8 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Citi thank you Premier.

Or the Southwest cards. Two of those and a little spend when they're @50k and you got yourself a companion pass.
Message 9 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Spanky23 wrote:

CSP is my dream card

Why?  If you've carefully considered the matter then you should have your needs/wants and an idea of how you're going to redeem rewards with UR.  If you've done that work then you'll have what you need to find another suitable travel card.  The vagaries around what you need and want in your posts seem to indicate to me that none of this has been considered.

@Spanky23 wrote:

I want to start saving up travel rewards so I can go on trips this next year if not 2017.

That's great but it doesn't mean that a travel card is a best fit for you. You have to have sufficient spend to make a travel card worthwhile. Like any rewards card you need to look at where your major spend is going and compare to the earn rates for the cards you're considering. Again, you need to consider redemptions for any points/miles program as that can impact reward value. Run the numbers for your spend to get an idea of what you'd get with any rewards card. Consider how long it would take your spend to accrue enough to redeem. Wanting to travel doesn't automatically mean travel card. There are many who have spend that would be better suited to cash back cards.

@Spanky23 wrote:

I'd like to get in with a new company. Amex, capital one? 

Use your needs/wants to select individual products that suit you.  Don't select a creditor and then try to justify a card.  You don't need to get "in".  Either your credit and income qualify at time of consideration or they do not.  Don't rely on "relationship".

@Spanky23 wrote:

Scores are in the mid 700s  

It's never just about score but if you want to go on score you can refer to the Credit Pulls Database.

@Spanky23 wrote:

Idk if it matters, but when i fly I fly southwest, but that's because my dad always flew them and I never had to make my own flights 

It definitely matters.  Again, how you redeem will impact reward value.  If you intend to redeem for Southwest flights then you'll want programs that have favorable transfers to Southwest.  Southwest is a UR transfer partner.

Since you already have the Freedom you're already accumulating UR points.  Unless you have significant enough spend to spread among different rewards programs you may want to focus on one.

That said, domestic coach travel isn't the best value but you may find it sufficient..  Run the numbers for your spend from start to finish and take a look at the Southwest flights you might redeem for to get an idea of what sort of rewards you'd get on your spend.  Compare against cash back cards and go with whichever gives you the best return on your spend.

Also consider the cobranded Southwest card if you can make use of the flight benefits.  It frequently has a sign on bonus for RR points, IIRC.

@Spanky23 wrote:

Yeah I thought maybe trying the amex everyday and prg in one go.But don't really like the everyday offer

Consider redemptions with MR if you're looking at these cards.  Who would you transfer MR points to?  What sort of value would you get per MR point for the rewards that you would redeem for?

The reason why I focus on UR instead of MR is that I live in a United fortress hub city and all my travel is on United.  I can get more than 2 cents per point with UR but can only manage 0.6 cents to 0.8 cents per MR.

@Spanky23 wrote:

I'm not closed off from a charge card but I'd definitely app for a credit card first to extend my utilization

A charge card will extend your revolving utilization.  Spend on the charge card will not impact revolving utilization.  However, how much spend do you have in the categories that earn at a higher rate on the PRG?  Are you sure you can pay each statement in full on that spend?

tl;dr You're currently all over the place and just need to sort it all out and form a strategy.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.