Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling in june and need to buy tickets

tag
jm1991
Regular Contributor

Traveling in june and need to buy tickets

I will be traveling in the middle of june with my family and i will be putting all the plane tickets on one of my cards for rewards, i got the cash to pay it all off asap. But i will spending almost 4k on the tickets alone and the only cards that i have for traveling are Amex blue sky and Marriott Premier Visa. The marriott card i just got this march and already passed the spending threashhold for my bonus and got my 70K bonus but it earns the 2x points on airfare. Im sure ill be using it also for the no foreign tras fees and chip. But i was pondering on applying for a new card that would be better in terms of rewards for airfare as well as a good sign up bonus. But i dont know if i would be approved since i got the marriott card just recently. any suggestions? should i apply for a new card or put the tickets on the marriott? 

need to buy the tickets in the next 20 days. 

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Traveling in june and need to buy tickets

Well, big signups include Chase Sapphire Preferred and Barclays Arrival, each of which will give you 2x on the airfare.  But which airline?  If you were able to get their card, you will get double miles, which is often going to be better than Barclays 2% (if you can use them at a later date)

Message 2 of 10
Alaskagurl
New Contributor

@jm1991 wrote:

I will be traveling in the middle of june with my family and i will be putting all the plane tickets on one of my cards for rewards, i got the cash to pay it all off asap. But i will spending almost 4k on the tickets alone and the only cards that i have for traveling are Amex blue sky and Marriott Premier Visa. The marriott card i just got this march and already passed the spending threashhold for my bonus and got my 70K bonus but it earns the 2x points on airfare. Im sure ill be using it also for the no foreign tras fees and chip. But i was pondering on applying for a new card that would be better in terms of rewards for airfare as well as a good sign up bonus. But i dont know if i would be approved since i got the marriott card just recently. any suggestions? should i apply for a new card or put the tickets on the marriott? 

Which airline will you be flying? I know Penfed travel rewards offers 5 x on airlines, and 20,000 bonus miles after spending $2500 in the first 3 months. 

Message 3 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Putting it on the Marriott is better than nothing. However, if you are able to get a card and have the use for one, you can certainly do better than 8k Marriott points. If travel is made through the UR portal for the CSP, you can get 3x UR points which can then be transferred to one of the UR partners, including Marriott. Also, you could get the credit card of the airline you are using as well. Do you know which airline you are going to use?

Message 4 of 10
jm1991
Regular Contributor

We are flying to mexico. I was thinking Volaris since its relatively cheap and they are direct flight and never had a problem with them, but i dont think they have a frequent flyer program. Just some vclub membership that discounts you some percentage. was also thinking Aeromexico

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
Message 5 of 10
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@jm1991 wrote:

Have you considered AMEX PRG? 25k MR points after $2K spend & 3X points for flights booked with airlines. AF waived first year, then $175.  You can downgrade before AF kicks in.  Since you have an AMEX already, it's a SP if denied.  Of course, HP if approved and you get established MSD with new card.  They typically overnight the card to you if approved.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/premier-rewards-gold

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-cards/american-express-premier-rewards-gold-card.php?catid=22

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 6 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@jm1991 wrote:

We are flying to mexico. I was thinking Volaris since its relatively cheap and they are direct flight and never had a problem with them, but i dont think they have a frequent flyer program. Just some vclub membership that discounts you some percentage. was also thinking Aeromexico

Aeromexico is part of the Delta Alliance I believe.

Message 7 of 10
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

@jm1991 wrote:

I would go with the CSP. 40K miles after $3K spend (another 5K miles if you add an AU and they make a purchase), and they transfer 1:1 to a number of airlines and hotels, plus no FTF and EMV.  Best deal out right now.

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 8 of 10
jm1991
Regular Contributor

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@jm1991 wrote:

Have you considered AMEX PRG? 25k MR points after $2K spend & 3X points for flights booked with airlines. AF waived first year, then $175.  You can downgrade before AF kicks in.  Since you have an AMEX already, it's a SP if denied.  Of course, HP if approved and you get established MSD with new card.  They typically overnight the card to you if approved.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-cards/american-express-premier-rewards-gold-card.php?catid=22

mmm that actually sounds good. Though i dont know how it would be in the long run. How valuable are amex rewards 25k vs chase 40k?  though to be honest since i already got the marriott card, CSP it has similar earnings on dining and travel. PRG has super markets and gas but higher annual fee. uh.. so difficult. 

Message 9 of 10
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@jm1991 wrote:

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@jm1991 wrote:

mmm that actually sounds good. Though i dont know how it would be in the long run. How valuable are amex rewards 25k vs chase 40k?  though to be honest since i already got the marriott card, CSP it has similar earnings on dining and travel. PRG has super markets and gas but higher annual fee. uh.. so difficult. 

I think the PRG is a great choice here. But here is the kicker. You definitely want to go through creditcards.com and use the card match tool. You might be offered the 50K bonus points version with only 1k minimum spend. If you get it, amd put the 4k plane tickets on it, you will have 62K MR points. MR points are very valuable IMO because of transfers to loyalty programs. One of the best uses is transferring to British Airways avios. They have a distance based award chart and only charge 4K points on short haul domestic (direct flights). This includes many US-Carribean destinations. With 62K points, you could potentiallly fly 15 times one way on AA short haul flights. Same goes for domestic one-world flights world wide. (Sao Paulo-Rio for example on TAM)

If you don't get PRG for some reason, I guess the CSP isn't too shabby. 

The 100k bonus miles AA offer is still out there. 4k would go a long way towards the required spend. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.