cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling abroad, is it really necessary to call CC companies?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Travelling abroad, is it really necessary to call CC companies?

cheddar wrote:

llecs wrote:

if it were a CC, we'd be in big trouble.

If it were a CC, and you reported it stolen, you would have been out $0 instead of $300. Smiley Wink

Ditto......per the debit card, technically the bank was out $200 and BofA was good about covering it and the account was permanently closed. Carry those bank numbers with you...
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Seems to be random for me. I:ve used my cards all over the world, and never had a problem. But I started regularly charging 1.99 on the internet (itunes) and they froze my account for unusual activity.
Can:t hurt, but if you look on the consumerist website there are a couple of letters from people who did tell them and had their accts frozen anyway.

Is that the site with the story about the couple who went to London, notifying BofA in advance, and his were frozen and hers weren't? Hilarious phone conversation with the BofA CSR, when the traveler asked the rep to read the notice that he would be using the card in England, and the rep was still confused.

I think MV posted it on Credit in the News, something about angry swans. (The traveler was standing on a table outside a pub, being swarmed by swans while trying to talk to BofA on his cell phone.)

That sounds like a No Hassles Capital One commercial waiting to happen.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Japan is weird in this way, and a fabulous opportunity for someone to steal cc info. In most japanese stores, the person who waits on you at the counter, esp. at larger shops, doesn:t handle the money. They take the money from you, and walk away with it, and give it to the money people. Sometimes this is a nearby, exposed area, where you can see your money at all times. Other times, this is a mysterious back room.

That said, Japanese are notoriously honest (to compound a stereotype), and of course there is crime here, but I don:t think it would happen that way.

I do have a friend who had her card duped and used in an electronics store. She is ridiculously paranoid about her card. The woman at the company said there is a wand they can stick in or near your bag on the subway, and steal your info without ever actually touching your card.

I would think that:s a bunch of bull, except that they do have the technology for highly sensitive card readers here. They:ve had problems with people slapping their wallets on the sensors where you go into the subway or get on the bus, and the scanner scans more than one card, taking money off all of them.
Message 13 of 14
rubaty
Frequent Contributor

I live in Germany but everytime I go to another country and I'm going to spend alot of money I always call the CC company.  Funny thing with BOA, because I hardly come back to the US, they usually freeze my acct when I do go to the US to shop and they say it's because of unusual activity!

Current Score: EX 772 EQ 777 TU 783 15 Jan 17
Goal Score: 815 across the board by Jan 18

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.