cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling soon, should i notify my card companies...

tag
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

Travelling soon, should i notify my card companies...

I live in the north east now and I will be travelling to the west coast for about two weeks and my spending pattern will be different.  Should I call my card companies and notify them ahead of time so i won't come across situation where they decline my transaction at the time i use my cards? 

if so, what should i really tell them? i don't know for sure excatly where i am going. It will be some different cities that i will go. 

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Re: Travelling soon, should i notify my card companies...

Call them and tell them you are traveling and the states you are going. I would not get into any more specifics than that. I have never had a card transaction decline by not telling them. If you bank with a small town CU or bank, you are more likely to have this problem, because they have less money to throw away at fraud.

Message 2 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

I live in the north east now and I will be travelling to the west coast for about two weeks and my spending pattern will be different.  Should I call my card companies and notify them ahead of time so i won't come across situation where they decline my transaction at the time i use my cards? 

if so, what should i really tell them? i don't know for sure excatly where i am going. It will be some different cities that i will go. 

I just told them the states I was going to and the dates I'd be gone . They don't need all the details. I think some lenders let you do it online or via automated call in lines. Its like a 60 second call if that. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

usually they want a date range and what states you will be in. 

Message 4 of 20
negg
Frequent Contributor

Credit card companies don't réquire a travel notice on domestic travel. Both Amex and chase have told me its not an issue 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 5 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@negg wrote:

Credit card companies don't réquire a travel notice on domestic travel. Both Amex and chase have told me its not an issue 

I've had friends from NY trigger fraud alerts when buying things with their amex in jersey. 

;
Message 6 of 20
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@negg wrote:

Too bad that I am not using thsoe.. I actually don't have those cards..

The cards I will be using will be fidelity amex and discover (for gas before Octorber) and sallie mae for gas after Octorber posibily boa 1-2-3 (where amex is not accepted)

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 7 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

When travelling abroad, here's what I do.  Bring 3 or 4 forex free cards, usually an Amex, MC and Visa.  Whatever card has a fraud alert will be unused for my trip.  In the rare event all of them trigger, I'll call in to resolve one of them, which I will use for the entire trip.

Personally, I find overly senstive fraud algorithms extremely inconvenient and tiresome.  I prefer to use a another card rather than expending valuable energy to reslove them.

Message 8 of 20
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Providing a travel notification is a wise thing to do if you're going to change your regular pattern of spending while on vacation...I always call customer service and I believe a couple of my accounts with Citi I can set a travel notification in the account management section of my online account.

Message 9 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

When travelling abroad, here's what I do.  Bring 3 or 4 forex free cards, usually an Amex, MC and Visa.  Whatever card has a fraud alert will be unused for my trip.  In the rare event all of them trigger, I'll call in to resolve one of them, which I will use for the entire trip.

Personally, I find overly senstive fraud algorithms extremely inconvenient and tiresome.  I prefer to use a another card rather than expending valuable energy to reslove them.

To me it would depend on how much international travel a person does. If you travel abroad a couple of times every year then they shouldn't instantly drop a fraud alert. If you only travel abroad once a year or less I would kind of want a card provider to check with me, especially if its not something like a hotel/air fare etc. Like if I'm buying a tv in Uzbekistan well maybe a fraud alert would be appropriate. If I'm buying museum admission to the louvre in paris, france then it wouldn't.  

;
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.