cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelocity Amex points bait and switch?

tag
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

Travelocity Amex points bait and switch?

So on around December, i applied for the travelocity amex. The reason I applied was that there was a 10,000 point signup bonus that I could redeem for statement credit. Before I applied, i checked multiple times to make sure it was for statement credit. Anyways, after meeting the guidelines to receive the points, I decided I would redeem them for statement credit today, only to realize I can only redeem for travelocity purchases! They also changed the wording on the site and so forth. Has anyone had this same trouble and were you able to resolve it? (by getting your statement credit!)

Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jumpinjax
New Contributor

Re: Travelocity Amex points bait and switch?

@charleeislegend wrote:

So on around December, i applied for the travelocity amex. The reason I applied was that there was a 10,000 point signup bonus that I could redeem for statement credit. Before I applied, i checked multiple times to make sure it was for statement credit. Anyways, after meeting the guidelines to receive the points, I decided I would redeem them for statement credit today, only to realize I can only redeem for travelocity purchases! They also changed the wording on the site and so forth. Has anyone had this same trouble and were you able to resolve it? (by getting your statement credit!)

@charleeislegend wrote:

I have this card - let me help you clarify - In last year's terms, you were able to get statement credit starting from 5,000 points, which I did and received a credit of $50 off my outstanding credit card balance.  The credit is applied instantaneously.  As of the beginning of this year, Barclay's changed the terms to apply only to purchases via travelocity, gift cards or merchandise.  (Basically, the ability to apply for a statement credit was rescinded in the new year.)

Message 2 of 5
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

@jumpinjax wrote:

@charleeislegend wrote:

@charleeislegend wrote:

I have this card - let me help you clarify - In last year's terms, you were able to get statement credit starting from 5,000 points, which I did and received a credit of $50 off my outstanding credit card balance.  The credit is applied instantaneously.  As of the beginning of this year, Barclay's changed the terms to apply only to purchases via travelocity, gift cards or merchandise.  (Basically, the ability to apply for a statement credit was rescinded in the new year.)

Thats so lame, I dont think i was even notified of this change. Oh well, time to apply for a different AMEX and let this one sit in my drawer.

Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 3 of 5
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Why not Discover IT?

You'll get 5% on Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com thru ShopDiscover.

Message 4 of 5
greekjim
Contributor

Can you book a refundable hotel reservation with the points then cancel the reservation? I think the points will give you a credit on your account then

EQ- 727 5/12/10
TU- 746 5/12/10
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.